Dewormers: Pour-On v. Injectible

Help Support CattleToday:

BoJack Cattle

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any studies that prove injectible de-wormers perform better than pour-on's or vice versa?

The only differance that I know of is, there is no hold time on butchering with pour on.
Mac

lilmac":mwbqpf2k said:
The only differance that I know of is, there is no hold time on butchering with pour on.
Mac

Which dewormer would this be?? Last I checked Ivomec pour-on had a 45 day withdrawl. Cydectin and the others are similar I think.....

randiliana":2xmzzdj3 said:
lilmac":2xmzzdj3 said:
Mac

Which dewormer would this be?? Last I checked Ivomec pour-on had a 45 day withdrawl. Cydectin and the others are similar I think.....
Cydectin has no slaughter or milk withdrawal according to label.

Eprinex has no slaughter withdrawal time either. Not trying to hijack but wasn't there a lawsuit a while back with some pour on dewormer causing birth defects or dead newborns, anybody know about it.

BoJack Cattle":14if8yes said:
Does anyone know of any studies that prove injectible de-wormers perform better than pour-on's or vice versa?
Ask your vet, see what he says. My vet likes the injectible, but I think thats because its easier for him to do. :nod:

I don't think there are any pour-on's that take care of liver flukes if that is a problem in your area. Probably other things too that one will take care of but not the other.

I heard a Dr. Thomas Yazwinski from the University of Arkansas at a cow calf clinic here in east Texas last week talk on this subject. He liked injectables over pour-ons for better control and less chance of developing resistance by having a sub lethal dose stretched out ass the product leaves the animal's system.

I just finished reading an article on this today. It stated a 45 day wait before slaughter with pour on. It was also suggested that for here in Ky that deworming be done in late June or early July no matter whether you injected or used pour on. The lady that wrote the article actually preferred pour on as she felt there were other advantages such as possibly keeping down lice and flies and no needle marks on the carcass.

We were told that you need to worm about 3 weeks after the grass reaches it's flushest point. In East Texas that should be late May or early June. We green up in early April, but bermuda does not really take off growing like wild until the night time temperatures reach and stay above 60 degrees.

Latest posts