Dewormer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is the best dewormer medication for two 950 lb steers? I have seen both liquid and pellet formulations ranging from $10.00 to $40.00. Any specifics would be appreciated.

[email protected]

> What is the best dewormer
> medication for two 950 lb steers?
> I have seen both liquid and pellet
> formulations ranging from $10.00
> to $40.00. Any specifics would be
> appreciated.

If you don't need to kill liver flukes you can consider buying Safeguard in pellet form, since it can be purchased in very small quantities and is super easy to administer. Ivomec is a good, and pricey, product but if you really only have two animals to worm that may not be economically feasible. They may sell it in smaller quantities, but I can't recall ever seeing it in anything less than 200 mml, which is enough for about 20 animals of 1,000 each.

If you know what sort of internal or external parasites your steers are likely to have you may want to consider other wormers, since they don't all kill the same things. And the price can vary considerably for the various wormers. However, I believe that IvomecPlus will kill the widest assortment of parasites.

My Vet recommends and uses "Dectomax" which does essentially the same thing as Ivomec and cost less.

I use Eprinex, it's made by Ivomec and takes care of all the same things. It's a pour-on and has zero meat withdrawal and zero milk dicard, and has been tested safe on all age classes, including newborns.

It's a little pricey -- $40 for 250 ml, enough to do 5 - 1100 lb animals, or 10 - 550 lb animals.

Ann B

> appreciated.

Thanks for all of the information.

> appreciated.

[email protected]

Check with your AI sales representatives. My Genex dealer runs unbelievable specials on Eprinex each spring. Safeguard crumbles and/or paste is quite effective, however, you can not be certain that your animal is receiving the correct amount of medication. Pour ons are quite effective and less stressful on the animal.

[email protected]

Wormer is a personal preference!

You can get a paste wormer such as Safeguard, and have several doses per tube.

or you can use a pour on and do no muscle damage, I like Cydectin, its purple, you can see who you have done.

There are also generic pour-ons, off shoots of Ivomec, you can get these at TSC (tractor Suppley), local feed store, COOP, etc.

[email protected]