DewEze S3 vs. Chainless Bale feeder like Tubeline or Hustler?

Help Support CattleToday:

RDFF

Reaction score
Anybody want to give their opinion about the chainless bale feeders like Tubeline or Hustler, vs. a chain type like the DewEze S3?

https://www.deweze.com/slicers/s3/

Trailed Chainless Bale Feeders

Last edited:
I have a Tubeline and really like it. I also looked at a Hustler and they are very similar but cost more $$$. Bottom line for my operation is I wanted simple and easy to work on. My neighbor has an older Dew Ezy and works good, but says the chains and bars are a pain when they break or get bent. Dew Ezo is also PTO driven, which can be a plus or minus depending on the individual...Maybe @Silver will chime in as well since he also runs a Tubeline.

You have a trailed unit, or a mounted? And if you don't mind my asking, about what do they run?

I'm unrolling with a shank in each side of the bale now, but if I ramp up my cattle numbers, I'm gonna need something that is a little more efficient than this. I don't like that sometimes you end up with a bale about a foot deep and unrolled in about 100'... I want more control on the unrolling than what this gives me.

I have a trailed unit, and I switched from a 3pt round bale unroller, wished I had done it sooner. There are a few learning curves, but it definitely feeds out bales a lot better and lays it back out in a windrow. I see the cows standing on the sides of the row eating versus standing in the hay. Cost wise they run between 16k to 18k depending on dealer and options.

Like C-Ranch, we went from a 3pt unroller to the chainless Tubeline trailed unit and after some learning we wouldn't go back. Less waste and better control for sure.
We use sisal string and don't remove it from the bale so end up with some twine mostly all on the top roller. I wish it was a little easier to drop the guard down away from the roller for twine removal (Hustler apparently has a handy way of doing that) but it still is only a 5 minute job to remove twine off the rollers.

Like C-Ranch, we went from a 3pt unroller to the chainless Tubeline trailed unit and after some learning we wouldn't go back. Less waste and better control for sure.
We use sisal string and don't remove it from the bale so end up with some twine mostly all on the top roller. I wish it was a little easier to drop the guard down away from the roller for twine removal (Hustler apparently has a handy way of doing that) but it still is only a 5 minute job to remove twine off the rollers.
Just curious, do you store your bales in the dry or outside?

@Silver ...Have you had any issue with the two grease-certs on the tilt bed arm? Mine were located directly on top so after feeding the first few bales they broke off. No bearing so not a big deal, just tap and relocate the grease-cert to the side where the bale can't make contact with it. Maybe mine was just a fluke🤷

@Silver ...Have you had any issue with the two grease-certs on the tilt bed arm? Mine were located directly on top so after feeding the first few bales they broke off. No bearing so not a big deal, just tap and relocate the grease-cert to the side where the bale can't make contact with it. Maybe mine was just a fluke🤷
Actually same deal here. Still haven't relocated the zerks yet, my bad. Also, the bolts tend to come loose on those cups so have to keep an eye on them. Have also had to replace the bolt that holds the pin at the bottom of the lift arm ram a couple of times. Nothing serious, just have to keep an eye on things. Finally put a longer bolt on it and a jamb nut on the back and it seems to be better.

Talked with Hustler, they licensed Tubeline to handle their "older design" machines... the current Hustler is very similar, but improved. And more $ of course. Is there any other "chainless" manufacturers that you're aware of that compete with them? Kind of thinking that's a better option than the chain units like the DewEze? Simpler, less to go wrong... (KISS program)....

The DewEze seems to feed out really nicely, with the sickle to cut the bale as it feeds... but those are all extra parts to wear. The Hustler/Tubeline rotor seems a lot simpler and appears as though it would last a long time without needing replacement parts and repairs?

Actually same deal here. Still haven't relocated the zerks yet, my bad. Also, the bolts tend to come loose on those cups so have to keep an eye on them. Have also had to replace the bolt that holds the pin at the bottom of the lift arm ram a couple of times. Nothing serious, just have to keep an eye on things. Finally put a longer bolt on it and a jamb nut on the back and it seems to be better.
Thanks for info I'll have to keep an eye out. This far only the zerts seem to be put in the wrong place, everything else has been solid, but I expected a few quirks as nothing seems to run flawlessly until the kinks are worked out.

Talked with Hustler, they licensed Tubeline to handle their "older design" machines... the current Hustler is very similar, but improved. And more $ of course. Is there any other "chainless" manufacturers that you're aware of that compete with them? Kind of thinking that's a better option than the chain units like the DewEze? Simpler, less to go wrong... (KISS program)....

The DewEze seems to feed out really nicely, with the sickle to cut the bale as it feeds... but those are all extra parts to wear. The Hustler/Tubeline rotor seems a lot simpler and appears as though it would last a long time without needing replacement parts and repairs?
I am not aware of any other manufacturers that are chain less, I think either one you go with would work just fine. All depends on the features you want and how much $$ you want to spend. The one feature I like on the Hustler is the trash box for putting string or netwrap in. However, I can attach a similar item on the Tubeline without the added price tag.

Latest posts