Devon/South Devon/Red Poll/Etc etc

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Could anyone out there please help me with the differences between Devon/South Devon/Red Poll or are they all the same animal going by different names?

Thanks in advance

Please throw red devon into the mix if you could as well...... I am just really confused over all of these...

All separate breeds, all from Great Britain originally but developed from different bloodlines and/or counties. There are some distinct differences among the breeds when compared side-by-side, ie. Red Polls are always polled where the other two are not necessarily, etc. Look all three up on this website and this will help you understand the differences.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

devon = red devon = north devon = ruby red devon. These are all the same from my understanding. But South Devon is NOT.

If you seen English South Devons they are nothing like a Red Poll or a Devon. They are bigger animals than the other two. They have lots more milk and generally are lighter in colour than the 2 other red breeds. They haven't entered into the "Black" types yet. Both Red Poll and Devon are great breeds in their own right and do well when crossed with others.
Colin

Latest posts