Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Margonme":2usgv6ci said:
Ebenezer":2usgv6ci said:
Margonme":2usgv6ci said:
Fat heifer= worthless heifer.

That is a generalization.
I don't disagree with that generalization.

Nevertheless, one would be best served to try to quantify that generalization? In example, how fat is too fat? To what extent are they "worthless"? Is every fat heifer worthless? What percentage are worthless?

These questions are rhetorical, of course. But they are intended to cause one to be critical of over-generalization. I try to maintain ideal condition on my heifers. I confess some exceed what is ideal conditioning. Some appeared to have fat in their udder. I am a couple years into a few heifers that were too fat. They all calved without assistance. Raising good calves, etc.

I try to maintain ideal condition on my heifers.
Maybe another generalization? Just use a BSC and call it good.

Fat in the heifer's udder stays there. Plenty of old research that milk production will be lower than should be genetically: beef, dairy, .... If you keep your own replacement heifers year after year it makes more difference: an opinion. I think the fat heifer issue creates yo-yo generations of low milk/high milk. I also think that fat heifers have more calving troubles. Just to be clear: feed is the #1 cost of production. Sales - cost = profit. I am not interested in lifestyle, herd prefixes, social agenda, ...

I want livestock to fit and not just exist. Fat heifers "tell" me that they are quicker maturing than I need in my environment if it happens on normal feeding. Opposite end: late breeding heifers tell me that they are too big or I made a bad choice on selecting parents. These are generally in the top 1/3. I know that I look at it differently with population genetics and linebreeding. I do not care for corrective breeding. I prefer type to type for outcross and selected bulls from outside should be able to sire cattle that do not vary in size or function from home raised cattle. My quirk.

Middle third: most would use either weaning weight, frame score or something along those lines. No hard and fast rule. High growth heifers (top third) will add additional size to the herd if retained as a rule. If you do not judge on type, some of the heavier calves can be more fatty and tend to add that trait to your herd long term. Small calves (bottom third) are (generalization) late calves, lack growth, are out of old cows or cows that have lost milking ability, first calf heifers, had a health issue, were more susceptible to worms, ... My exceptions are acceptable calves from first calf heifers or old cows that are a good fit.

Social agenda? How does that relate to fat heifers?

The Yo-Yo concept. A fat heifer does not pass on her condition! If you start with a fat heifer how does that course run through future generations?

Your new here so I'll go ahead and let you know. Ebenezer is a genius.....he told us so

Margonme":w74exm93 said:
Boots":w74exm93 said:
I would like to give a little more info. We are in central Texas, so yes our grass is sorry right now. When on winter and spring grass I only feed every few days to get them cake broke. When the calves leave at yearling age they are on just grass for 3 to 6 months. My husband picks the replacements and he will cull again at any time if he sees something he doesn't like.

Thanks for the input. Boots

Margonme your handle makes me think you may be a cattlewoman as well?
Sorry if I'm mistaken. :tiphat:

I don't think so. :D

Oh my. I am so sorry please forgive me. :oops:

Off the grid, grow my own, avoid whatever. Not bad, just not my cup of tea.

The Yo-Yo concept. A fat heifer does not pass on her condition! If you start with a fat heifer how does that course run through future generations?
The fat heifer gives little milk. Her heifer calf scrounges around and you/I decide to keep her. She tends not to be a fat type and has ample milk. Repeat, repeat, ... Really messes with EPDs.

Your new here so I'll go ahead and let you know. Ebenezer is a genius.....he told us so
Just because I do not share your love for barbed wire is not reason to lie about me. If I said it (I did not), cut and paste, and show the world. I have my quirks and will say so. But I do not plan to lie my way to create any assumed superiority. If that is your game: you win. Now let's get back to the topic.

Ebenezer":1q6nha9o said:
Off the grid, grow my own, avoid whatever. Not bad, just not my cup of tea.

The fat heifer gives little milk. Her heifer calf scrounges around and you/I decide to keep her. She tends not to be a fat type and has ample milk. Repeat, repeat, ... Really messes with EPDs.

Just because I do not share your love for barbed wire is not reason to lie about me. If I said it (I did not), cut and paste, and show the world. I have my quirks and will say so. But I do not plan to lie my way to create any assumed superiority. If that is your game: you win. Now let's get back to the topic.

I don't lie. And your words were sarcastic as always. " Thanks for pointing out my genius"
I don't remember the thread, but you said it.
If you can't take a little of what you give that's your problem.
Now I have no problem getting back to the topic. I have a vested interest in it.

so, in conclusion, it sounds like you are not over utilizing feed so as to develop "fat" heifers. It sounds like you are responding to your environmental conditions to provide for the adequate growth of your heifers. Your question re: what others do is very situationally dependent - as this thread has shown you. some general suggestions are to lean as heavily as possible on your native forages / hay. in the absence of those, you may have to supplement. for YOU it seems to be that perhaps the pellets you are buying aren't really worth the money and you might want to try a higher protein pellet / grain (I use oats) than to use corn on these young heifers to supplement when your forage is challenged. watch for fat buildup and throttle back if you see it.

angus9259":2188zyvl said:
so, in conclusion, it sounds like you are not over utilizing feed so as to develop "fat" heifers. It sounds like you are responding to your environmental conditions to provide for the adequate growth of your heifers. Your question re: what others do is very situationally dependent - as this thread has shown you. some general suggestions are to lean as heavily as possible on your native forages / hay. in the absence of those, you may have to supplement. for YOU it seems to be that perhaps the pellets you are buying aren't really worth the money and you might want to try a higher protein pellet / grain (I use oats) than to use corn on these young heifers to supplement when your forage is challenged. watch for fat buildup and throttle back if you see it.

Good post angus. You covered environment, protein, money and husbandry! :clap:
Our replacements are weaned at approx 6 months. Kept separate. Good hay, clean water, quality mineral. They also get 2#s of 30% protein pellets along with 4-6#s shelled corn each, per day. Last year's heifers were in great shape without being fat. Cycled and bred on schedule. Very pleased with them and didn't cost a fortune to get them going.

angus9259":2uxw486z said:
boots is probably more or less in the same part of the state as me and Fence and until it rained this week there was little forage and what was available a cow would burn more energy chasing it than she would benefit from it. AND most of the hay available is not that good either if you just buy it by sight. Supplementing is pretty common. I'm also familiar with that little feed he is feeding and there's nothing wrong with it. Really a pretty good little mix of corn, cottonseed hulls, peanut hull pellets and a protein pellet along with molasses but just not enough protein to be a grower for heifers. Cattle will gain weight on it but don't know how well they will grow "UP".

callmefence":1kpygx4r said:
I'll make sure I put the lol in for you next time.
Ebenezer. Fence don't lie

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=103555&p=1329671&hilit=Genius#p1329671
Get a dictionary. The word has different meanings. I did not say "I was a genius". Twisted words and implied meanings are foul. You sure hold a grudge over barbed wire! It does not matter to me. Again, you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.