Determining what to do

Help Support CattleToday:

Huntercattlecompany

Reaction score
I have a few head of registered Brangus cows, I currently have them running with a registered Polled Hereford bull. I also have 2 golden certified F-1 Braford bulls that are not quite to breeding age yet. I would like to use these 2 bulls on my registered Brangus cows but not quite sure what kind of cross I would get. Since the brangus are 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus and the F-1 Brafords are 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Hereford I'm not sure what kind of cross i would get or if i should just scrap the idea all together. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

The resulting offspring of a Brangus cow and a Braford bull would be composed of the following: 3/8 Brahman, 5/16 Angus, 5/16 Hereford. As far as color, markings etc., I'm not real sure. Liable to have some white faced animals I would imagine.

Huntercattlecompany":3qi2fbnq said:
I have a few head of registered Brangus cows, I currently have them running with a registered Polled Hereford bull. I also have 2 golden certified F-1 Braford bulls that are not quite to breeding age yet. I would like to use these 2 bulls on my registered Brangus cows but not quite sure what kind of cross I would get. Since the brangus are 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus and the F-1 Brafords are 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Hereford I'm not sure what kind of cross i would get or if i should just scrap the idea all together. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
that percentage on the braford is purebred... F1'S are 50/50 no way would i waste a good brangus cow with a crossbred bull.. give me a super baldy any day than a mixed up mogrel ;-)

I agree with Alacowman. You will get greater heterosis out of the Hereford cross than the Braford cross and tighten them up at them same time. Are you not pleased with your herefordx calves? I would stick with crossing them with a continental or british rather than another american breed.

i have used my purebred braford(marked like a hereford) on brangus and they make a baldy calf but the ear is about the same as both parents. i also have a ourebred hereford and they make the ear smaller but marked about the same. ilike both combinations

Huntercattlecompany":2khps9hp said:
I do not see anything wrong with the cross. Of course this is dependent on the purpose of the cross. What is you plan? Are the resulting calves for replacements or terminal? If they are for terminal I would drop the ear and go to a purebred. (F1 Braford on Angus cows or Hereford bull on Brangus cows) If they are for replacement I think the individuals trait selection is of higher value. The Brahman cross on Brahman cross is often done and the heterosis factor is not important for inclusion on replacement heifers.
By the way an F1 Braford is 50% Brahman, 50% Hereford. A Braford is 3/8, 5/8.
This is all asuming that you want to keep the Brahman influence for momma cows.

Huntercattlecompany":3mcgzpn9 said:

Hunter .... visited with a friend in San Antonio area this weekend. He raises registered black Limos and processes and sells meat....is looking at buying some Brangus cattle and putting those limo bulls on them.... will know how it works in about 18 months.

you've heard the story about if a lttle does it good, then why not go with a little more.or something like that :p . aint totally true when crossbreeding.. especially when brahman is in the mix. got too keep your breed percentages undercontrol...