demented calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We are taking care of a calf for the boss that the vet says has brain damage.She can stand at times and at other times she rears backward and falls.She is eating feed and drinking.We also give her a bottle twice a day.She may go through a week of walking around, then can't even get up the next week.Any ideas?

[email protected]

If you don't mind my asking, why are you keeping it? Doesn't sound like it has much hope to live long and the expense to keep it must not be worth it. Is it?

[email protected]

> If you don't mind my asking, why
> are you keeping it? Doesn't sound
> like it has much hope to live long
> and the expense to keep it must
> not be worth it. Is it?

I agree with you 100% but the calf belongs to my boss.I know she needs to be done away with, what I need to know is if anyone knows what you do with a calf who is suffering from a Thyamine deficiency and if there is any hope for her.

[email protected]

> We are taking care of a calf for
> the boss that the vet says has
> brain damage.She can stand at
> times and at other times she rears
> backward and falls.She is eating
> feed and drinking.We also give her
> a bottle twice a day.She may go
> through a week of walking around,
> then can't even get up the next
> week.Any ideas?

If it's a Thiamine problem you might check with the vet...we had a bottle lamb this spring that got sick out of the blue and was stiff legged and looking up to the sky all the time..came on very fast...the vet gave her mega doses of iv vitamins then gave us a bottle of thiamine to give her injections twice a day till the bottle was gone...she had also gone blind...she actually came out of it and got her sight back...have not had that experience in our cattle but??

[email protected]

> If it's a Thiamine problem you
> might check with the vet...we had
> a bottle lamb this spring that got
> sick out of the blue and was stiff
> legged and looking up to the sky
> all the time..came on very
> fast...the vet gave her mega doses
> of iv vitamins then gave us a
> bottle of thiamine to give her
> injections twice a day till the
> bottle was gone...she had also
> gone blind...she actually came out
> of it and got her sight
> back...have not had that
> experience in our cattle but??

Thanks so much Sharon.This is what I needed to know.We have had her to a vet but he is prone to just give up on one that has little hope.I hate to do her in because she eats good and it trying really hard to make it.I will try these things and let you know how it turns out.Makes good sense to me.Again thank you.

[email protected]

In response to why we sometimes try to save an animal when the outlook is so bleak: I had a calf that was totally out of it but her will to survive kept me from letting my husband put her down...I had to beg the vet to do something for her and even tho it cost me money how can you so easily put something down when it raises that head of hers and says "I am trying, don't give up"...it may seem very sentimental but I know alot of people that have big herds that also fall for those eyes...this calf pulled through despite the horrible odds and ended up being a great sized calf and even tho I had a vet bill and meds and time to deduct out of her I still made money and the great feeling that I didn't give up on her...there are times that it doesn't work out and they die on their own or they have to be put down...but you lose no matter in someway so may as well give it a chance and go for it...it's not that easy for some of us to just give up and put them down either..and everyone can laugh at me but I truly believe that animals have feelings and they have the right to a fair chance since they depend on us and alot of times it's our own mess ups that put them in the places they are...sorry for getting a bit on the emotional side of this but to ask why not just put an animal down because it's sick is just a little too much for me...no offense intended to those who feel that way....I am just one of those people who are for the under dog..or in this case the calf! lol.....but the thiamine doses did work and we went on to sell this particular lamb..the cost of the thiamine wasn't that spendy....anyway..sorry everyone...I am out of here....

[email protected]

Latest posts