Delco Premium trailers and torsion axles

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
I have been researching cattle trailers for a while and have gotten some good information and suggestions on here. I originally wanted a Big Bend, but after calling twice and sending two emails and never getting a response back I decided that was not the place for me. Someone had suggested looking into the Delco and I really like the Premiums. The only issue I have is that I have not seen one in person and I hate to commit to such a large purchase sight unseen. Does any one on here have any opinions on them or having seen one in person be able to comment on the quality compared to Gooseneck or other manufacturers? Another concern that I have is the fact that they don't offer spring axles, only torsion axles. I am a little worried how these will hold up loaded over rough pasture ground. Any opinions and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

My worry is that on uneven ground with a load I would put too much stress on one axle, for example if crossing a terrace row one axle might have to carry all the weight for a minute. I guess I am over analyzing it though.

All accounts I've heard are that torsion axles outlast spring axles.. I've never had personal experience with torsion axles, but I will say I'm disappointed with the spring axles.. My trailer is 6 years old and hasn't been used very much.. I doubt I have 10,000 miles on it and it's getting to be time to look at the bushings already

I may just give it a whirl then and stop worrying. I'm sure they know more than I do and wouldn't put a higher priced component on if it wasn't working out.

I have had better luck with spring axles. Have bent one torsion axle when I cross rough terrain. Like you said all the load goes to one axle. Torsion axles also need the trailer to be level front to rear. You can lift the front wheels off the ground by raising the jack up a few inches. I have not had any spring components wear out but all the trailers I have also have greaseable hardware

Latest posts