delay of banding will increase carcass mass of steer

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
is there a study that delaying of banding will increase carcass mass of steer. my neighbor will band his calf bull
around 600lbs more for increased carcass mass. hence, better growth and larger mass of meat, compared to banding early at early days of calving, without including food, upbring, location, and bcs. if everything is equal such genetics and enviroments of ample foods and protein supplements, is my neighbor blowing air.

thank you for your kind help., uscangus.....happy holidays.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by carcass mass, but a bull left intact will outgain a steer that was banded/cut . A bull will produce more hormones which will give it the ability to grow faster. Many people will implant at the time of castration to replace some of the hormones lost when removing the testicles, if this is done the weaning weights would be much closer to a bull calf.

i usually wait til 3 mos..i used to do it at birth or asap but i think...im just thinkin..that it has helped my steers to grow better

This is what I've been told by some experienced cattleman. The stress of castration or banding later in life will knock off any extra weight gained from leaving them intact. That was just an opinion not evidence based.

Andrew

dieselbeef":1a2ht1yy said:
in my exp id say they hardly noticed it

I guess it may depend on how late you leave it. I would imagine the older the animal the more traumatic the procedure. We've castrated some at 6 months and they definately lost some condition. Maybe you've found the sweetspot at 3 months.

Andrew

we usually band'em at birth. this year we did one (cut) at 6-7 months. didn't notice any difference either way.

we usually band'em at birth. this year we did one (cut) at 6-7 months. didn't notice any difference either way.