dehorning

Help Support CattleToday:

bsr

Reaction score
What is the most effective way of dehorning cattle.

There is also dehorning paste that can be used when the calf is young. Find the horn bud on the calfs head and cut the hair off around it. Using a wooden stick (popsicle stick works) put the paste on the horn bud making sure you cover it completely. Now this is very corrosive so be careful using it. Too much will cause problems. Alot of guys after putting the paste on will take some duct tape and wrap it around the calfs head covering the paste to keep the cow from licking it off or the calf rubbing it off. The tape will fall off over time. We do ours after they have nursed for the first time. They are sleepy and easier to sneak up on at that time.
Horn cuppers (aka dehorner) will also remove the horn buds. You put the cutting end down around the bud and cut it off. Have a hot iron ready though to burn where you cut the bud off because it will be bleeding. The burning will stop the bleeding. Do this at branding time or just before you turn them out. A couple of months old.

On page 3, on the Health/Nutrition board, about half way down, there is a thread titled does dehorning paste work?. Read this ~ there is a lot of good stuff in it (2 pages of opinions, including mine for what thats worth).

We carried ours to the vet. $6.00 and about 10 minutes later, no horns. I will admit I was not prepared for the amount of bleeding (my calves were about 6 months old). They have healed up beautifully and now that the hair has grown back they looked polled.

alot of people burn them off no blood don,t have to worry if the paste worked or not

onecowfarms":wj0pfu19 said:
alot of people burn them off no blood don,t have to worry if the paste worked or not
This is, IMO, the best way to go. Still recommend reading other thread.

Frankie":2l76cudp said:
bsr":2l76cudp said:

Use an Angus (homozygous polled) bull and your calves will be polled.

Any breed of bull that is Homozygous polled will have the same effect.

our calves come in ,in the fall , we don;t have nearly the horns we did years ago ---we just cut them off with dehorners (long handled cutters) ---for older stock ,we tie a balestring around the horns tight-- and cut them off ---- slows the bleading down

carl

MikeC":gxc19ms2 said:
Frankie":gxc19ms2 said:
bsr":gxc19ms2 said:

Use an Angus (homozygous polled) bull and your calves will be polled.

Any breed of bull that is Homozygous polled will have the same effect.

Homo bull is the best route and dehorn at conception. I have used the paste worked most of the time and I have used a hacksaw worked everytime. If your weak stomached hacksaw is not for you, have burned them off.
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... f_id=16157
Until I got smart enough to use a polled bull and quit having these rodeo's.

As I learned from a fellow member, if your going to dehorn the "old fashioned way" or castrate by knife - check out the farmers almanac. It lists the best days of each month for these acitivities to avoid blood loss. Is related to the phases of the moon.

The 'old timers had a lot of tricks!! (I wish I knew them all)

Use an Angus (homozygous polled) bull and your calves will be polled.[/quote]

Any breed of bull that is Homozygous polled will have the same effect.[/quote]

This is true but by using Angus you not only get polled but resaleability and quality beef.[/quote]

So.....other breeds of cattle aren't sell-able and can't have quality beef? :roll:

Latest posts