dehorning

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf that is 13 weeks old, She has horn coming in at about 1/4 inch now. Is it too late to use the dehorning paste, Since the instructions on the bottle say best to use at about 8 weeks old?

[email protected]

> I have a calf that is 13 weeks
> old, She has horn coming in at
> about 1/4 inch now. Is it too late
> to use the dehorning paste, Since
> the instructions on the bottle say
> best to use at about 8 weeks old? Is this animal going to be shown? If yes then have your Vet Dehorn. If not, then saw off at the base of the horn and get a cuagulant to stop the bleeding. Flies can be a problem this time of the year so get an anti-screwworm spray also.

[email protected]

> I have a calf that is 13 weeks
> old, She has horn coming in at
> about 1/4 inch now. Is it too late
> to use the dehorning paste, Since
> the instructions on the bottle say
> best to use at about 8 weeks old?

It is not a good idea to use the paste on a calf that is nursing on its momma. If the paste gets on her udder it can really hurt her and she may not accept the calf. We surgically dehorn our "show" cattle and dehorn the others with an electric dehorner at aprox. 2 1/2 - 3 months old. You can saw them off as well. I do use the paste on my bottle holstein calves but i normally apply it at 3-4 weeks old. you need to make sure they don't try to wipe it off by rubbing their head on another animal or anything else. Any of these ways should work. I do think a 13 week old calf with 1/4 in horns is way to big for paste! The electric would work great though! Good luck email me if you need more info!

[email protected]

Latest posts