dehorning paste?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've actually used it on bottle calves. Stuff works pretty good. I've never put it on one, that was out running with the cow. Will it work under those conditions?

Caustic Burno":brxy7rvp said:
Bigfoot":brxy7rvp said:
I've actually used it on bottle calves. Stuff works pretty good. I've never put it on one, that was out running with the cow. Will it work under those conditions?

Yes

Did you put a patch of duct tape over it or anything? Thought that might help. I could see them rubbing the paste of sucking, or even the old cow licking it off.

I have used it on a lot of bottle calves. I have also had a couple of those calves get a ear folded over while rubbing its head and burn a hole through its ear. For that reason I never use it on a calf who is sucking a cow. I use a hot iron on those calves. Although my preference is to dehorn 283 days before birth.

Bigfoot":1d9v9ac3 said:
Caustic Burno":1d9v9ac3 said:
Bigfoot":1d9v9ac3 said:

Yes

Did you put a patch of duct tape over it or anything? Thought that might help. I could see them rubbing the paste of sucking, or even the old cow licking it off.

I haven't used it in years as I dehorn at conception now.
I put vasolene around on the hair area and treated the bud with a small dab of paste a couple times over the course of a month.

Dave":mplz1bs8 said:
I have used it on a lot of bottle calves. I have also had a couple of those calves get a ear folded over while rubbing its head and burn a hole through its ear. For that reason I never use it on a calf who is sucking a cow. I use a hot iron on those calves. Although my preference is to dehorn 283 days before birth.

My preference to, but I've got 20 some odd heifers fixing to start calving from a LH bull. Many will be poleed anyway, but a few won't.

I have a cheap pair of cordless clippers. I give em a buzz, apply paste, and cover with duct tape.

Ive also thought a quick singe with a propane torch may be enough to clear the hair out of the way. But haven't tried that yet - My clippers suck though, so it may not be far off.

The tape will help with licking and also the calf transferring it to her udder.

I've never needed to use the duct tape over it... The paste works well if applied properly to the bud.. enough of it, but not so much it runs off

Latest posts