Dehorning methods

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I have a couple of cows with horns starting to grow into their head. What would be the best method of removing them since I can't get regular dehorners on them?

Banjo":3rcskg5k said:
I have a couple of cows with horns starting to grow into their head. What would be the best method of removing them since I can't get regular dehorners on them?

Bob them back until you can.

Bigfoot":h0i0am8v said:
Banjo":h0i0am8v said:

With what. a saw, sawzall, grinder?

Banjo":qrh2w5am said:
Bigfoot":qrh2w5am said:
Banjo":qrh2w5am said:

With what. a saw, sawzall, grinder?

Literally anything that will cut through it. If I could restrain her good, I'd probably use giggly wire. If they can flop much then that's probably out. Any pruining device would take the tips off.

On one of my cows I ground 2 out of 3 teeth off on a hacksaw blade and used that to cut it.. worked really good... probably would have done it fine without removing teeth too.. I cut about 2" off and there was no blood at all.

Their horns growth slows down as they age, so if you can just trim off a little now, it may be good for a long time yet.

Others will know way more, but when our friend had a hereford steer on our place that ended up with horns, the vet (who was there for preg checks anyway) cut them all the way down with wire, applied the blood stop powder, and as I recall gave an antibiotic (it was high fly season and they bled a good bit. Dude did fine though).

quartermeter":7g2pi379 said:
You can use castration bands. I'm going to try it. Lots of info in the web.
Yes. I think they need to be young horns. I tried it on an old cow once that had one horn that stuck straight out like a gun barrel....very difficult to get her head in the shoot without opening it wide open, but finally caught her and put a band on that horn but it didn't phase it....too hard I guess....I couldn't even cut it with dehorners it was so hard.

Banjo":3medb1jj said:
Lazy M":3medb1jj said:
I use a hand saw and a hot iron.
are you talking about a iron like you would iron clothes with?

For something like that, you can heat any piece of steel to work, if you don't want to buy an iron. I have cordarized with a bent piece of rebar.

Banjo":2r198453 said:
Lazy M":2r198453 said:
No, a piece of iron with a handle. I've seen one with a 1 1/2" ball bearing welded on the end. Ya heat it up hot as blazes and use it to cauterize the area where the horn was. Stops the bleeding most of the time.

Banjo":2from4yo said:
Lazy M":2from4yo said:
It is a caulderizing iron that plugs in. I think that I bought it at southern states.

Latest posts