dehorning heifer (milkcow) - vet mistakes?

Help Support CattleToday:

RickWP32

Reaction score
We just had a vet in for the dehorning of our 9 week old jersey/shorthorn cross heifer... Had expected the horns to be removed by burning - but, after admitting that she would do it that way - she said that she hadn't brought the burning tool...she then proceeded to dehorn using some giant cutters, which I (not knowing anything about this) assumed would normally be used for larger animals that actually had horns?...our's only had little nubs of about quarter-1/2 inch...
Aside from getting my brother and myself covered in blood in the process (it was squirting everywhere until she pulled the veins with tweasers), she seems to taken off an extra amount on the right side (leaving a long flesh wound from base of ear to horn area)...the tool as I said was large (too large for the job if you ask me). Then afterward, she applied some disinfectant powder onto the wounds...called "NFZ Puffer" ((containing 0.2 % Nitrofurazone)). After applying twice the calf was released immediately and went over to the mother (our milk cow) -- and was licked by her....
Come to find our after she left (having given me the bottle to "apply every day for the next few days", I find out it has warnings all over it ((Including - "CAUTION: Federal Law Prohibits Use of This Product In Food Producing Animals" & "Restricted Drug -California )... The label states that it is "known to cause Cancer in mammary glands of mice" and "ovary cancer in rats".
This doesn't seem good that my milk cow has taken this into her system. Was wondering if anyone knew if the milk will be safe to drink? What this stuff is - how dangerous (as far as lingering around in her system)...
We called the vet back - and she said not to use it afterall...agreeing that it would not be good to let the milk cow lick it.
Am I missing something - or is it not the vet's job to know these things?
Also what about the calf nursing..... lots of questions!

Without seeing pics it's impossible to comment on the dehorning job.

As to the NFZ -- no, it's not labeled for food animals. I have used it and do use it from time to time, but that's another post. Just have to be careful about what you're using it on. Don't think I'd worry about drinking the cow's milk when she's ingested a miniscule amount, esp since it's actually a topical antibacterial. Wouldn't use it on the heifer for the sole reason that it's not necessary to apply anything daily after dehorning.

I do agree with nova too -- find yourself a new vet.

I agree the vet's a twit and I question if she even has her license. Find a new competant one and never let her near your cattle again .But I have to say that some of the vets around here that have just graduated are really really stupid lately but that's another thread. :?

Get yourself an electric bud dehorner and do it yourself it is not hard at all and not all that expensive; or use the paste when the nibs first appear on the calf.

Sounds like your vet is an idiot. There's no reason she needed to use the cutters as opposed to a burner for a baby, especially since it sounds like she did a crappy job too. The burners are really easy to use and not very messy-you could do it yourself!! They aren't too expensive either.

Better watch her close for maggots, I have to agree that vet is a nimrod. I use an electric dehorner on my heifer calves up to 2-3 months of age, never had any problems and its easy to do. I started doing it this way because I could never stand the cutter way, too much blood and in the summer months it was just yuck!

GMN

Not to jump on the side of an incompetent vet, but I always lob them off and pull the veins. Then, I seer the perimeter with an iron. I then fly spray them and turn them out. Usually during the time the animal gets dehorned they've already received a tetanus shot, a black leg vaccine, a 7-way, and been wormed.
If they're just buds that haven't turned into horns I've just seered the perimeter with an iron and let them fall off. I've never tried the paste but have heard good things about it.

francismilker":2ayjel1o said:
Not to jump on the side of an incompetent vet, but I always lob them off and pull the veins. Then, I seer the perimeter with an iron. I then fly spray them and turn them out. Usually during the time the animal gets dehorned they've already received a tetanus shot, a black leg vaccine, a 7-way, and been wormed.
If they're just buds that haven't turned into horns I've just seered the perimeter with an iron and let them fall off. I've never tried the paste but have heard good things about it.

I've used the "scoops" for most everything. With holsteins I usually waited until they had horns about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long and "scoop'em out". Just because it's capable of cutting out a huge hole doesn't mean you ahve to do it that way. I too would then pull the viens and cauterize with a branding iron. Calves hardly knew anything had been done to them. I never used the electric dehorners or paste...seen too many heifers and cows with gnarled scurs from a half a$$ dehorning job.

Without knowing all the facts I won't say anything negative about the vet. As for the Nitrofurazone "known to cause Cancer in mammary glands of mice" and "ovary cancer in rats". Dang near anything will if you give them enough of it often enough. Over the years I've used it on myself many times.

Latest posts