Dehorning day

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice stalls. Got more character now. I think I'm just going to band horns from now on. Been doing it that way, for a couple of years now.

My son always dreaded dehorning...I've used every method in the past..still got all the goodies to work with... Best tool I've been using the last few years....polled Bulls..

Ky cowboy":1ap11lrx said:

Had 5 to de-horn and 4 we missed banding to cut. I think next year we will go to the electric iron as they're calfs.

I quit years ago and let the bull do it at conception.
I have removed horns with about any contraption you can think of.
I hated dehorning.

Bigfoot":2zq2e3yy said:
Nice stalls. Got more character now. I think I'm just going to band horns from now on. Been doing it that way, for a couple of years now.

We built the barn with horses in mind. Now converting it to cattle. It did have 16 stalls and indoor arena. Now I don't even own a horse (for now) little girl keeps asking for an unicorn. I can't say no to a little girl in pig tails.

Yes, I like those stables too.

Do you use any pain relief when dehorning? There are requirements coming in here for pain relief admin after a certain age. Personally I think it is over regulation and only very tempory relief as opposed to quick and clean cutting but as with everything else we are held to ransome by those that have nothing to do with animal husbandry that think it would be a good idea.

Ken

Ky cowboy":3avu9uw4 said:

Had 5 to de-horn and 4 we missed banding to cut. I think next year we will go to the electric iron as they're calfs.

You needed to use some forceps and pull the veins where the blood was squirting from.

Ky cowboy":25aybngs said:

You needed to use some forceps and pull the veins where the blood was squirting from.

hurleyjd":3r6sx7hm said:
Ky cowboy":3r6sx7hm said:

A hot iron is faster, some cotton in any hole left and turn out.

Latest posts