Dehorning and banding

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
A

Anonymous

heard thats its best to let the calves get big before you fix them they say it helps them gain weight quicker dont know if its true
 
OP
A

Anonymous

There are as many opinions as there are people raising cattle. We dehorn at conception and band at spring workup, calves are a month and half old at most, a week at the youngest.

dun

> What is the best age to dehorn and
> band bull calves?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I’ve read that before, but we prefer to work them when they are still small and easily handled. I think it’s easier on the bull calf and I know it’s easier on me. On the calves that somehow got older before we got them caught, I can't tell any difference. Not a very scientific observation, but...

It still amazes me how many people are not castrating. For the time it takes it certainly pays and I don’t understand why folks have gotten away from it. I see a lot more bull calves in the ring than I used to, and they are all docked accordingly. Perhaps it’s people that are new to the business and don’t understand how much it’s costing them. Of course, the feedyard will do it as soon as the calf comes off the trailer.

Craig
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Seems like the majority of the ones I see that haven't been cut/banded/whatever comew from the places that also don't vaccinate, or worm either. There are a lot of folks around here that figure since it cost a few bucks to vaccinate and worm that it's lost money and somebody else will get the benefit. Idiots.

dun

> I’ve read that before, but we
> prefer to work them when they are
> still small and easily handled. I
> think it’s easier on the bull calf
> and I know it’s easier on me. On
> the calves that somehow got older
> before we got them caught, I can't
> tell any difference. Not a very
> scientific observation, but...

> It still amazes me how many people
> are not castrating. For the time
> it takes it certainly pays and I
> don’t understand why folks have
> gotten away from it. I see a lot
> more bull calves in the ring than
> I used to, and they are all docked
> accordingly. Perhaps it’s people
> that are new to the business and
> don’t understand how much it’s
> costing them. Of course, the
> feedyard will do it as soon as the
> calf comes off the trailer.

> Craig
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Yeah, I'll agree with that. Not sure if they are trying to save money or if they're just lazy. Either way, it's costing them.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Seems like the majority of the
> ones I see that haven't been
> cut/banded/whatever comew from the
> places that also don't vaccinate,
> or worm either. There are a lot of
> folks around here that figure
> since it cost a few bucks to
> vaccinate and worm that it's lost
> money and somebody else will get
> the benefit. Idiots.

> dun

Very few casterate their bull calves down here,that go through the sale barn in Fort Payne,AL. They sale them so quick the auctioner never bothers to anounce wheather its a heifer,bull,or steer.

I used to castorate mine,but it slowed down there growing and couldnt tell any difference in price down here.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

If you have any order buyers, believe me, they can tell

dun

> Very few casterate their bull
> calves down here,that go through
> the sale barn in Fort Payne,AL.
> They sale them so quick the
> auctioner never bothers to anounce
> wheather its a heifer,bull,or
> steer.

> I used to castorate mine,but it
> slowed down there growing and
> couldnt tell any difference in
> price down here.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I band my male calves at 1 to 3 days old. It is eaiser on me and it does not slow there growth down . I also give them their shots and worm them at the right age. They grow better and convert grass to beef better,health animals are worth the trouble. Of corse I only have 15 head of cows so it eaisy to keep up with them. If I had 250 head I have a different outlook... ALF

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

They can tell. The auctioneer doesn’t announce it because he knows the buyers are all over it, but watch how he starts the bidding. He’ll start steers the highest and heifers lower. He’ll dock the starting price on bull calves every time. The older they are the more he’ll dock. He can tell, even if he’s sitting up high and can’t see between their legs. It will show in their head and tail.

You might want to reconsider. Based on what I see it will cost you 5 to 8 dollars/cwt, which adds up fast.

Craig
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Even when we ran a much larger herd we still vaccinated, wormed and cut or banded at spring workup. It just makes sense.

dun

> I band my male calves at 1 to 3
> days old. It is eaiser on me and
> it does not slow there growth down
> . I also give them their shots and
> worm them at the right age. They
> grow better and convert grass to
> beef better,health animals are
> worth the trouble. Of corse I only
> have 15 head of cows so it eaisy
> to keep up with them. If I had 250
> head I have a different outlook...
> ALF
 
OP
A

Anonymous

you might not can tell much on smaller calves, but the guy at the sale barn where i go told me he starts docking bull calves at about 500#. i am sure that different barns do it a little different, but i wouldnt think it would be much difference.

just my 2 cents

gene

> Very few casterate their bull
> calves down here,that go through
> the sale barn in Fort Payne,AL.
> They sale them so quick the
> auctioner never bothers to anounce
> wheather its a heifer,bull,or
> steer.

> I used to castorate mine,but it
> slowed down there growing and
> couldnt tell any difference in
> price down here.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Even when we ran a much larger
> herd we still vaccinated, wormed
> and cut or banded at spring
> workup. It just makes sense.

> dun

Thanks Dun,for that insight, I did not think you could band or casterate that soon,of course too,we were casterating all ours back then with a knife,at about 300 to 350lbs.that may have had a lot to do with it slowing their growth down to.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

"with a knife, at about 300 to 350lbs"

Another way to spell that is H-A-R-D W-O-R-K.

TD, I also grew up using the rope and the knife, and for some reason we worked them bigger then too. It's faster if you're set up for it and have plenty of help, but banding sure is easier on all concerned parties :)

Craig
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Even when we used the knife we did it at spring workup. The simple key to banding correctly is the ability to count to "two". It's always surprising how many folks that think they're cattle experts that seem to lack that ability.

dun

> "with a knife, at about 300
> to 350lbs"

> Another way to spell that is
> H-A-R-D W-O-R-K.

> TD, I also grew up using the rope
> and the knife, and for some reason
> we worked them bigger then too.
> It's faster if you're set up for
> it and have plenty of help, but
> banding sure is easier on all
> concerned parties :)

> Craig
 
OP
A

Anonymous

why castrate them? in belgium we have the best beef by far in the world, and we have never castrated a single bull. Yet we always slaughter at 8 to 900 kg at 2.5years of age.

why castrate, just feed them sillaged corn, and you'll notice the difference.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

if you have a squeeze chute it is just as easy to castrate a 400# calf as it is to do a 100 # calf..

the way we do it is.. squeeze them in the chute, someone holds their tail and the other reaches in behind them and cuts... and for the sake of being misunderstood.. we DO NOT get in the chute with them to reach behind them. we let the sides of the chute down and reach in. we are up close and above the calf so if he does kick he doesnt kick us.. if he kicks anything it is the side of the chute.

just my 2 cents

gene

> "with a knife, at about 300
> to 350lbs"

> Another way to spell that is
> H-A-R-D W-O-R-K.

> TD, I also grew up using the rope
> and the knife, and for some reason
> we worked them bigger then too.
> It's faster if you're set up for
> it and have plenty of help, but
> banding sure is easier on all
> concerned parties :)

> Craig

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Different managment id probably the simplest way to put it. Here large groups of cattle from mutiple sources are co-mingles and fed high concentrations of corn. Usually butchered at 14 to 18 months. Intact bulls wouldn't fair all that well in that environment.

dunmovin farms

> why castrate them? in belgium we
> have the best beef by far in the
> world, and we have never castrated
> a single bull. Yet we always
> slaughter at 8 to 900 kg at
> 2.5years of age.

> why castrate, just feed them
> sillaged corn, and you'll notice
> the difference.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> What is the best age to dehorn and
> band bull calves? Best time to dehorn is at conception with a homo, polled bull, best time to castrate, ASAP after birth with a knife is how i do it. It has worked well. Bands work nice and I've gone that route before too. When I do slip up and get a horned calf, I dehorn it pre weaning. Lot of people do it at weaning, but i don't like the extra stress,

[email protected]
 

Similar threads

Latest posts

Top