dehorn

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree with Dun. Never dehorn a calf under two weeks old. Their bodies are not adjust to the stress yet. DOes not have all its antibodies yet. If Dun has been doing this all along one of these years he will find a near dead calf from the stress of being dehorned. It is not required to do so but I beteter be safe than sorry!

Dun is talking 9 months before birth. :idea:

Oregonian":27m8ek6z said:
Disagree with Dun. Never dehorn a calf under two weeks old. Their bodies are not adjust to the stress yet. DOes not have all its antibodies yet. If Dun has been doing this all along one of these years he will find a near dead calf from the stress of being dehorned. It is not required to do so but I beteter be safe than sorry!

Spoken like a true Experienced cowman.
YOU are Sharp.
Breed to a bull that naturally DeHorns the calves. ANGUS--ANGUS--ANGUS--ANGUS--ANGUS.

Anonymous":2kykj5mc said:
Oregonian":2kykj5mc said:

YOU are Sharp.
Breed to a bull that naturally DeHorns the calves. ANGUS--ANGUS--ANGUS--ANGUS--ANGUS.
I forgot to login againl
My mistake.
la4angus

la4angus":1q4cs8d7 said:
Anonymous":1q4cs8d7 said:
Oregonian":1q4cs8d7 said:

YOU are Sharp.
I forgot to login againl
My mistake.
la4angus

Thats what that Oregonian gets for eating skinny beef-Start thinking like a Vegan if you don't have a little good old angus or hereford marbeling.

Anonymous":1b7j5pj1 said:
Oregonian":1b7j5pj1 said:

YOU are Sharp.

polled hereford will do the trick as well.

To simplify things. Any homozygous polled bull of any breed will do the job.

dun

Dice, For any of my calves with horns, I like to dehorn at about 4 months of age. I sometimes will do it earlier or later, depending on what time of year it is. This is just how I do it.
For more precise information you can find artilces about this from time to time in some of the cattle magazines.

gm

other than breeding to good Polled sires - what is the best way to dehorn calves.

don't do it often, i always use Angus bulls, even on my longhorns. But the neighbor has a few that will need to be dehorned. And since he almost killed the calf cutting him, i thought i would offer my help up front.

Alex

what a dingdong I am! I thought conception meant after birth opps! Duh! HUGE mistakes! BTW, I do buy the regular ol' beef at the 'market but I wouldn't touch anything with an Angus brand on it. I noticed the buyers of Angus beef were overweight or near obese to obese....... What does THAT tell you? I am NOT a Vegan! I LOVE meat! I eat some sort of meat at least once a day.
Oh this is to la4angus: There is not enough trees in this part of Oregon for me to fall out of LOL! Mostly sagebrushes with a lot of skinny sorry lookin' Angus trying to survive out there. The Angus needs a lesson from the wild horse herds around here. Oh well, just keep breeding for black and forget all else such as feed conversion, genetics, disposition, etc. Who cares? As long they are black, they get the $$$. The other stuff is not important right?

what a dingdong I am! I thought conception meant after birth opps! Duh! HUGE mistakes! BTW, I do buy the regular ol' beef at the 'market but I wouldn't touch anything with an Angus brand on it. I noticed the buyers of Angus beef were overweight or near obese to obese....... What does THAT tell you? I am NOT a Vegan! I LOVE meat! I eat some sort of meat at least once a day.
Oh this is to la4angus: There is not enough trees in this part of Oregon for me to fall out of LOL! Mostly sagebrushes with a lot of skinny sorry lookin' Angus trying to survive out there. The Angus needs a lesson from the wild horse herds around here. Oh well, just keep breeding for black and forget all else such as feed conversion, genetics, disposition, etc. Who cares? As long they are black, they get the $$$. The other stuff is not important right?
OH as for dehorning method, I have tried the banding methods and they work great. For me anways.

Oldtimer":kjyc0qdc said:
la4angus":kjyc0qdc said:
Anonymous":kjyc0qdc said:
Oregonian":kjyc0qdc said:

YOU are Sharp.
I forgot to login againl
My mistake.
la4angus

I'm beginning to thing that this Oregonian is probably in favor of all natural organic grass fed cattle thats kinda how those west coast hippies who aren't vegans tend to think.

Thats what that Oregonian gets for eating skinny beef-Start thinking like a Vegan if you don't have a little good old angus or hereford marbeling.

Oregon guy you've been sniffing the crazy glue? Angus are desired BECAUSE of all the traits you mentioned above. By the way are you a little on the feminine side?

Much depends on the stage that the horns have grown to when you decide to do it. Before they erupt, a hot disbudding iron works great. After they've erupted and until they're 3-4 inches long, skull scoops work well. After that we used to just tip them and ship them.

CircleA":2fuy66zy said:
other than breeding to good Polled sires - what is the best way to dehorn calves.

Alex

This post actaully started out with some promise. Then you ended up with your usual diatribe against angus. I would suggest that if the angus are starving in eastern oregon that perhaps the folks there need better managment skills. Many years ago we ran angus cross cattlein the mojave desert (200-350 acres per pair) and didn't have problems with them any more then anything else that didn't have some Brahman influence.
Eating marbled beef contributes about as much to obesity as having the equipment for it makes one a rapist.

dun

Oregonian":22l6c7ep said:

Status
Not open for further replies.