Deformed and blind calf

Help Support CattleToday:

rusty

Reaction score
Cow 3 yr old Reg Angus not first calf.
Bull 3 yr old Reg Limi
Calf born Sun 3-22 1:00 pm
To start with no problems during birth.Calf has deformed lower jaw the lower jaw is sticking out farther than nose as in major underbite.No tail not even a stub.I also can't find a eyeball on right side and no pupil on left just white of eye.It is a heifer with all plumbing.Calf was very weak so gave it 2 pints of clostrum since it couldn't get teat in deformed mouth.
Any ideas in what might of happened??????

I don't have a clue why birth defects happen in cattle and must be very rare.
What would be the reason your trying to save it?

Rusty did you check the roof of the calves mouth ? I was first thinking maybe cleft palate. It causes the protusion of the lower jaw. I also found this picture of a cyclops.
11-1.jpg

Notice the lower jaw of this animal. Kind of sounds like yours.

Sorry for being so late with a reply I'd posted before going to work and just got back.

mnmtranching":ibmvweq4 said:
I don't have a clue why birth defects happen in cattle and must be very rare.
What would be the reason your trying to save it?

Not really trying to save it just thought I'd try to keep it alive until I could learn more about it.

Joy you are right about the pic looks about the same maybe not as pronounced but like it .So you think cleft palate is the cause?

My main reason for posting was to try and learn and see if any of you had seen these symptoms.Also should I be worried about breding the bull to this cow in the future.That was the bulls 4th offspring and had another today with no problems with the calves.I have lost a cow at calving but that is another post for the EPD people.Thanks so far for the replys.

Rusty, I really doubt there is a concern about future birth defects. Odds are you'll not see another one.

I agree I wouldn't worry about using your bull. This is just a freak of nature. Did you take any pictures of the calf ? If you can try to post a couple. Have you called you vet ? Ask if there is a reason he/she can give for this happening.

Will try to get pics posted tommrow.Didn't contact vet figured like you all freak of nature.Only get vet if I can't handle problem and lead posion is easy to give.Like i've said before just wondered what the boards opinion would be.