Definitions needed

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am new to cattle and would like to know how to read the cattle price listing.
What is the difference between feeder and slaughter. What does low dressing and high dressing mean. Why are steers more expensive than a similar size heifer. What method is used to weigh a cow if no scales are available. What can I expect to charge for Angus steers that are about 5 months old.
Thank you,
Vince
[email protected]

Vince":2r9l59gu said:
I am new to cattle and would like to know how to read the cattle price listing.
What is the difference between feeder and slaughter. What does low dressing and high dressing mean. Why are steers more expensive than a similar size heifer. What method is used to weigh a cow if no scales are available. What can I expect to charge for Angus steers that are about 5 months old.
Thank you,
Vince
[email protected]

Feeder vs. Slaughter: Feeder is placed on concentrated feed as in feedlot and forced to gain as rapidly as possible. Slaughter is just that.

Steers gain faster than heifers for one item.

Use cattle weight tape to get good estimate of actual weight, usually +/- 5% of actual weight.

Markets: E.g., .70 - .90 would mean 70 to 90 cents per pound, live weight on hoof. $1.50 to 2.00 higher would mean that much added to each 100 lb weight price of the animal.

5 Month old steer? Depends on how much he weighs...can be lot of variability among animals and breeds. Weaning weights can vary a lot too. See your area "Market Reports" which list per pound prices per weight category, etc.

Running Arrow Bill is right.
Also besides gaining faster than heifers steers should gain cheaper, and will get larger and can be fed for a longer period of time, If your cost of gain is less than the finished price that means additional income.
Steers don't come in heat and ride the other animals that they are being fed with, which causes all in the pen to not gain as well as they should,and are using energy which could go to gaining weight.
Finished steers normally bring $2.00 or more per cwt than heifers.
In the previous sentence, note I said NORMALLY. For the past several months that has not always been the case.

A good source of local markets across the country, click on Markets on the green bar on the CattleToday Home Page, the next page that opens, click on livestock and then go to the local market inthe state that you want to look at. The states are listed alphabetically.

I understand what everyone is saying, but I saw this report today and got confused. The price range is $45.00-$51.00. What does this mean, I'm sure it's not price per lb. Thanks,

Slaughter Cows Breakers 75-80

Weight Range-----Avg Wt-------Price Range-----Avg Price
1120 - 1190--------1160------$45.00 - $51.00---47.94

new_guy":ywnl5h7u said:
I understand what everyone is saying, but I saw this report today and got confused. The price range is $45.00-$51.00. What does this mean, I'm sure it's not price per lb. Thanks,

Slaughter Cows Breakers 75-80

Weight Range-----Avg Wt-------Price Range-----Avg Price
1120 - 1190--------1160------$45.00 - $51.00---47.94

per 100 weight

The cows in that category weigher between 1120 and 1190 and averaged 1160.
The animals sold for between $45.00 and $51.00 per hundred pounds of weight, one sold for the lower amount and some one
sold for the higher amount and all the others fell inbetween.
.....hundred weight is used so that a finer bid can be made sort of like bidding in 1/2 cents. Not alot but figure on a 1200# animal it can be a few dollars.
Some animals like bred cows and calves under ~250# are sold by the head not by weight.
Hope that this helps...been some good posts on auctions in the past...try a search and see what you find.
DMc

Latest posts