Definition of Springing???

Help Support CattleToday:

SCRUBS620

Reaction score
I risk showing myself as a newby here but what is the definition and/or signs of a springing cow? I know it is a sign of impending labor. I just raise a few stocker calves each year and have not been around the cow/calf side of the business. Thanks for any help. :oops: :D

SCRUBS620":3v9pnhns said:
I risk showing myself as a newby here but what is the definition and/or signs of a springing cow? I know it is a sign of impending labor. I just raise a few stocker calves each year and have not been around the cow/calf side of the business. Thanks for any help. :oops: :D

Swollen vulva.

MikeC":1yy60xvn said:
SCRUBS620":1yy60xvn said:

Swollen vulva.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Why don't you google that question? You might get a touch more detail... 8)

Alice

Alice":38rxvz5t said:
Why don't you google that question? You might get a touch more detail... 8)

Alice

I tried briefly but a bunch of non-related items came up. I though it would be quicker to ask the experts :) 8) How close to birth does it appear or is it inconsistant? BTW I love this forum. I have learned alot and even when there are polar opposites submitting answers it helps me decide where I stand.

Alice":3mdilaei said:
http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/dms/fapm/herd/1-Questions.pdf

A springer/springing cow/springing heifer is a cow/heifer who is within 2-3 weeks of her due date. Her udder is starting "spring up", getting ready for parturition.
i thought thats what it meant. didnt know it was a dairy term

It's not just an overall cow term? Or are you just giving me the business? I've been up too long to catch a lot of stuff today.

Alice :)

Alice":3jkj6ppp said:
It's not just an overall cow term? Or are you just giving me the business? I've been up too long to catch a lot of stuff today.

well you know how dairy farms have alot of there own terms like freshen, didnt know it was a dairy term too. but what i know about dairies you could put in a thimble. have used some holstein calves too train rope horse's though. that was back when you could pick em up for about 25.00 ;-)

ALACOWMAN":3qccdue7 said:
Alice":3qccdue7 said:

well you know how dairy farms have alot of there own terms like freshen, didnt know it was a dairy term too. but what i know about dairies you could put in a thimble. have used some holstein calves too train rope horse's though. that was back when you could pick em up for about 25.00 ;-)

At the sale Wednesday, they were giving bottle baby holstein bull calves away...only a few went for $80, and that was tops. Calves that used to start at $50-$75 were going for $2.50 - $15. And yes, springers is also a dairy term.

Alice":14ulelow said:
ALACOWMAN":14ulelow said:
Alice":14ulelow said:

At the sale Wednesday, they were giving bottle baby holstein bull calves away...only a few went for $80, and that was tops. Calves that used to start at $50-$75 were going for $2.50 - $15. And yes, springers is also a dairy term.

well i would buy the holsteins for young horse too track on and score cause they were MOST of the time slower. though once in a while you would get one that ran like the wind but it went in with the roping calves.

springer is a term mostly used in dairy terms.its a cow or heifer thats 7 months bred or more.i also use the term bagging on both dairy an beef cows.

Check back late tonight. I will take a picture of our cow that is due in January. In my opinion, she is "springing" a little early.

Latest posts