• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Definition of condition

dun

Reaction score
A barren cow is one without a calf. Usually by the time they're classified as barren they've gone several years without calving.
A freemartin is a sterile heifer born twin to a bull, whoever there are cases of a heifer being a freemartin and no bull calf is born. If there were twins at the appropriate time and the bull dies and was reabsorbed the heifer will still be a freemartin but you won;t know it, and maybe not suspect it till she doesn't carry a pregnancy through full term.
To be 100% acurate, a cow can not by definition be a freemartin.

dun

Arancher

Reaction score
The reason i asked was , i went to a sale this past weekend and was sitting near and old timer and he mention to me that the cow that was in the ring looked barren. So a cow that maybe barren today could have had a calf in the past.Is it disease are other factors that cause a cow to go barren?

dun

Reaction score
She could be old and not be able to breed, have disease that prevents her from breeding, just be a slow breeder so she didn't get caught by the bull, too fat, too thin, .....................
There are probably as many reasons are there are cows in that condition

dun

Arancher":1yptmdst said:
The reason i asked was , i went to a sale this past weekend and was sitting near and old timer and he mention to me that the cow that was in the ring looked barren. So a cow that maybe barren today could have had a calf in the past.Is it disease are other factors that cause a cow to go barren?

la4angus

Reaction score
Believe what Dun is telling you. Don't expect him to be wrong.
In this case he is right AGAIN. humm. The oldtimer may have called the animal a cow but TECHNICALLY if she was BARREN she was not a COW.
She may have been a heiferette. O. O. Dun and D.R. Cattle get ready for a rash of questions.

WIN BUSH WIN

Arancher

Reaction score
La4angus you must work at night to. We are neighbors and to be up at this time.

TLCfromARK

Reaction score
She may have been like a cow I had a couple of years ago. Had a good calf every year (4 in a row ) did a good job on them. On #5 my brother fed after dark one day and didn't miss her, next day he found her trying to have a calf, could see where she had been stuggling. Got her to a vet, too late to save the calf but she was fine after a few days or so I thought. Butter ball fat and bred back a month later. The problem was she bred back every month for 6 months, the bull really liked her. I kept her longer than I should but sold her in the end. She became what I call "barren" cow, no longer able to have calves after having some.

Hope it helps. ;-)