Defining "fancy"

Help Support CattleToday:

In Brahmanland a fancy cow or heifer is one someone is trying to sell, the not fancy ones are everyone elses.

Most everytime I go to look at someone's fancy cows they look regular to me. I think Fancy cows are a marketing tool for the most part.

farmer rich":3gop9gks said:
certherfbeef":3gop9gks said:
show ring pretty.

Fancy AND functional...Ollie's red cow.

Show ring pretty and functional should be one and the same IMO.
Fancy and functional as in Ollies red cow has an example for any one interested to look at.

farmer rich":1jr6f285 said:
certherfbeef":1jr6f285 said:
show ring pretty.

Fancy AND functional...Ollie's red cow.

Show ring pretty and functional should be one and the same IMO.

Very true...they should be the same. But you know as well as I do that all too often they are not.

My show cattle have to turn around and perform in the pasture. Brood cows first and foremost, show ring success is an added bonus. As as a result, I get hammered in the ring because I make sure the yearlings are bred before putting the weight on. And they end up a little greener than the "fancy" show calves. But they are bred and not too fat. I've seen too many senior yearlings walking in the ring in Denver and louisville OPEN because they are too fat.

I'm probably harder on my registered stock and less forgiving than I am on the commercial herd. No 3 strikes here for any of them.

denoginnizer":2di3yp10 said:
Most everytime I go to look at someone's fancy cows they look regular to me. I think Fancy cows are a marketing tool for the most part.
Fancy cows aren't a marketing tool to me. The fanciest cow I know of is a red angus pair that I think Jake has a picture of. I absolutely think she is beautiful but if I can't own her. My environment is too harsh for that type cow. They can be fancy and still not work for everyone. If they are broody , meaty , and somewhat fancy...I can use them. Maybe you havn't trained your eye to see differences in cattle types. Some peoples operation doesn't require noticing phenotype differences or because of something else in their training or experience they have failed to notice. To say there isn't such a thing as a fancy cow is true only if there isn't fancy women or fancy cars.
Within the circle of friends I run with there are several of us who can "see" cows the same. I don't have to go look if one of these men has seen them. They know what fancy means to me and if they say she is fancy I know they mean long extended neck coming out of the top of her shoulder with a pretty cow type head . They will have a spine that appears to be a rib longer . She will have a nice sloping shoulder and 4 pretty legs out on the corners. It wouldn't necessairly include how much depth or meat she would have. It wouldn't describe her feet . Several of the cows I have thought alot of have not been fancy. Their necks were usually a little too short . Sometimes they weren't long enough or they had too much set to their legs but when it come to toughing out a scorching summer and weaning a heavy chunk of beef for a calf they did it every year. Maybe some of the good years their calves weren't the prettiest but they were as predictable as the sun. Every year they made money. I would rather have a fancy cow with the meat and muscle that these cows had. I would also rather have a fancy cow that could be at the top on those bad years. I am still hunting the perfect cow. She is there , I just havn't owned her ....yet. BTW , just because a cow is ugly doesn't make her easy keeping or drought resistant or good someother way. It only makes her ugly. To me good and fancy aren't always the same . Good means profitable, managable, consistant etc. Fancy means pretty. They can and should be fancy and good. Maybe someday I'll get there.
One more thought. In sale barn lingo talking about a set of cows fancy usually means uniform and of at least fairly good quality. I am speaking more of an individual cow being called fancy.

Sorry the Picture is so small
history2.jpg

Ahhhh...there she is. She is what makes an old man drool...They will dry up and blow away on fescue. Instead of looking young , fresh and productive, I can turn them into limping, dried up , hairy little rails. But she is certainly beautiful as pictured. She is what I call fancy! Thanks Jake.
history2.jpg

Fancy would be closely resembling "feminine" to me.

Just like a fancy lady would.

Latest posts