Defined Breeding Season

Help Support CattleToday:

marksmu

Reaction score
I am thinking about going to a defined breeding season this next Spring to simplify my weaning and to minimize the number of times I have to work the cows...We currently run 3 Brangus bulls...all very calm (now) and very easy to deal with. I am contemplating moving them to a 19 acre pasture all but the 90 days that I leave them with the cows....that pasture is over 60 miles from the main ranch. I have portable corrals so working them is not an issue. I plan on fencing it with 4 strands of barb, and 2 strands of high tensile electric, plugged into an AC charger....

Currently the bulls all get along well and there is no fighting...is there an issue with removing the bulls from the cows altogether for this 9 month period? The 19 acres I will be moving them to is behind my office, and there are no other cattle anywhere for over a mile. I just can not have them breaking down fences in this area....The cemetery on the other side would be highly upset I think.

We run the bulls together either in a pasture way form the cows or in a bull pen when they aren;t out with the girls. The only time they're with the girls is after weaning/preg checking until just before we start calving. We pull them in July and run them toghter then in late spetember we put them back with the cows. Then mid Feb we pull them till the end of may then they go back with the girls. Especially during the worst of the winter it's handy not have an extra place with cattle that you have to tend to.

marksmu":1upsxq0b said:
I am thinking about going to a defined breeding season this next Spring to simplify my weaning and to minimize the number of times I have to work the cows...We currently run 3 Brangus bulls...all very calm (now) and very easy to deal with. I am contemplating moving them to a 19 acre pasture all but the 90 days that I leave them with the cows....that pasture is over 60 miles from the main ranch. I have portable corrals so working them is not an issue. I plan on fencing it with 4 strands of barb, and 2 strands of high tensile electric, plugged into an AC charger....

Currently the bulls all get along well and there is no fighting...is there an issue with removing the bulls from the cows altogether for this 9 month period? The 19 acres I will be moving them to is behind my office, and there are no other cattle anywhere for over a mile. I just can not have them breaking down fences in this area....The cemetery on the other side would be highly upset I think.
If there are no other cattle around then I think you will be fine. If you had cows in a pasture next to them it could become an issue. I keep mine pinned off in a 7 acre trap with 5 strands of wire and an electric fence wire, as long as the wire is hot there is no issue even with the cows next to them.

marksmu":3hrzs0w0 said:
...is there an issue with removing the bulls from the cows altogether for this 9 month period?

No, shouldn't be. We routinely pulled our bulls after a 2 month breeding period. When we had the ranch, the bulls were pastured together in a 5 strand barbed wire pasture away from the girls. After we sold the ranch, the bulls were penned together in a roughly 90' X 70' corral with a roughly 50' alley between them and the weaning heifers, and we had no problems.

Well then, since the consensus is that its not a problem, I think I will go ahead and get started on the field. I think the defined breeding season will really clean up the records...and that is something that really been botherin me. Its been so dang dry here that I cant even think about putting posts in the ground until we get some rain...I fenced 3 acres for the horses about 6 months ago, and the ground has sucked up so much you can pull even the 12" corners out of the holes, and I pound them in, not drill the hole and back fill...

I set all post now days with Pebble gravel, the best way to do it bar none, I do not care what anone else saies, give it a try and you will see...
I used dirt , concrete, and varies rocks , but the round pebble is best...

marksmu":1anyr8o7 said:

I would consider making a weaning section in your bull pen for future use while your pounding poles and doing fence work.

marksmu":2veojyrk said:
Well then, since the consensus is that its not a problem, I think I will go ahead and get started on the field. I think the defined breeding season will really clean up the records...and that is something that really been botherin me. Its been so dang dry here that I cant even think about putting posts in the ground until we get some rain...I fenced 3 acres for the horses about 6 months ago, and the ground has sucked up so much you can pull even the 12" corners out of the holes, and I pound them in, not drill the hole and back fill...
Back fill the holes with grainy sand or small pea gravel. As the ground shrinks the fill will fall keeping the post tight. You may have to repeat this process every year. Also use double H corners.
Just thought I would add this cut and paste for considerations in chosing a breeding season. You may know them already some others may not. Others may even want to add some.
• cattle nutrient demand
• nutrient supply from forage and
feed
• seasonal effects on fertility
• seasonal effects on calf performance
• seasonal markets and profit
potential

We have a defined season aswell. We like it alot. Like the fact that we do not have to worry about calving when haying or working bees. Also like nova mentioned the feed and supplement needs. With a defined season, it is easier to feed the herd the same because there are times in the year when the nutrition needs are at the lowest and times when they are at the highest. Calving all year round means some loose out. It can cost more when feeding to meet all the demands of cows when they are at different stages.
The other reason we like it is, we can really pick out the poor doers. It is easier to see the ones with the poor calf when they are all the same age. Or the ones which do not convert the feed as well, putting it on themselves rather than the calf. Or that same cow that does not breed back on time.
The one drawback is...culling is going to become a regular and important thing on the ranch...because not all cows will measure up when on a level playing field.
This post was not well put together..been a long day, but the idea is there

Only issue I see is that bulls will be bulls!!! Like boys will be boys!!!! They will scuffle and tear stuff up. Other than that I have had no problem pulling our bulls....

Only have 2 bulls. Ran them together last winter. One is 7 the other is a yearling. No problems ...yet.

They are both turned out with the cows now. No problems...yet.

Latest posts