Deere Strike

Help Support CattleToday:

Workers in various industries nationwide are threatening to go on strike in a sweeping effort to secure higher pay and better working conditions.

More than 100,000 unionized employees — between Hollywood production crew members, John Deere factory workers and Kaiser Permanente nurses — have overwhelmingly voted to authorize strikes and are preparing to join the picket line unless they get stronger collective bargaining agreements.

Thousands are already on strike, including 2,000 New York hospital workers, 700 Massachusetts nurses and 1,400 Kellogg plant workers in Michigan, Nebraska, Pennsylvania and Tennessee.

the Deere workers took a pay cut in the last 6 year contract and the new offer will not keep up with the expected inflation numbers. Deere used to be the leader in employee pay and benefits but they just keep taking it away a little at a time. Back in the "old days" if Deere wanted to hire 100 new employees, 2000 people would show up for an interview. recently, Deere posted openings for 200 positions and had 5 people show up for the job fair. out of the 5, 3 were offered jobs, 2 quit within the first 2 weeks. Deere is not shy about telling workers that their main focus is not their employees, their costumers, or their dealers; stockholders are their major focus and driving force on any decisions. if the stock prices start falling, Deere will be back at the table.

View attachment 9250

Comparing the leader of a company to a employee is not a proper comparison.
You should be comparing how many employees he/she is managing, sales, pay roll , profit etc.
Deere employees 70,000 people so payroll is in the billions. If the company makes 30 percent margins just on payroll, not to mention everything else. the CEOs salary is a drop in the bucket to what he's responsible for.

CEO-to-typical-worker compensation ratio (options realized) was 20-to-1 in 1965 and 58-to-1 in 1989.

CEOs are even making a lot more—about five times as much—as other earners in the top 0.1%.

From 1978 to 2018, CEO compensation grew by 1,007.5% (940.3% under the options-realized measure), far outstripping S&P stock market growth (706.7%) and the wage growth of very high earners (339.2%).

In contrast, wages for the typical worker grew by just 11.9%.

I've had a construction company for 37 years, and I have well over a half a million dollars invested in equipment. I pay my employees well but I make 3 to 4 times what they make. I also work twice the hours as they do. It would be ridiculous to assume that their pay should be equal or close to mine . They have zero risk.

CEO-to-typical-worker compensation ratio (options realized) was 20-to-1 in 1965 and 58-to-1 in 1989.

CEOs are even making a lot more—about five times as much—as other earners in the top 0.1%.

From 1978 to 2018, CEO compensation grew by 1,007.5% (940.3% under the options-realized measure), far outstripping S&P stock market growth (706.7%) and the wage growth of very high earners (339.2%).

In contrast, wages for the typical worker grew by just 11.9%.

The CEO of any publicly traded company works for the share price. His compensation is usually decided by the board of directors. I would imagine that turns into a situation where they royally reward each other.

Comparing the leader of a company to a employee is not a proper comparison.
You should be comparing how many employees he/she is managing, sales, pay roll , profit etc.
Deere employees 70,000 people so payroll is in the billions. If the company makes 30 percent margins just on payroll, not to mention everything else. the CEOs salary is a drop in the bucket to what he's responsible for.
CEO salary isn't the issue. It's the stock options. He also has a legion of other execs who in turn have a whole chain of managers so it's not like he does the work of 150 people. He has 168 hour week like the rest of us.

While I'm not in favor of unions, if the employees can get what they want, they should go for it. It is also easy to become jealous or envious of the CEO's making so much money.

Let's not forget, we live in the freest country in the world and if we want those types of salaries, we need to be willing to do what those people did to get there. I have no problem with other people's incomes or lifestyles because I have come to understand this principal. I do not have that lifestyle because I am not willing to do what they did to get there.

I like my life - God has given me enough. More than I need to survive but not so much that I forget Him and think I can do this alone.

Sounds like you have zero idea of what a communist is. Or you fell asleep on your period key on the computer, or both most likely.
Since when is un-American to support the people who manufacture our "stuff"?
I would bet a crisp new $100 dollar bill you're one of those guys who would buy a "Made in China" socket set because it was $4 cheaper.
That kinda bull SSSSSSSSSSS thinking is why we're at where we're at in this country.
Just the kinda thing Nancy Pelosi & Jeff Bezos want us to think.
Everyone mad at someone getting government aid, and then mad at someone for wanting better pay & better healthcare.
I guess I can't mention being on "government aid" on a thread full of farmers tho, can I?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Spoken like a true communist Buck.............................................

So I can forget about that new tractor that I put off buying for a year
I bought a used JD 4640 back in August. While we were doing paper work, I was kidding with the salesman about when a person could get a new tractor. He said JD told them if someone wants a new tractor and orders it now (back in August) they wouldn't get it till after the first of the year and there would be a guaranteed increase in the purchase price.

Sounds like you have zero idea of what a communist is. Or you fell asleep on your period key on the computer, or both most likely.
Since when is un-American to support the people who manufacture our "stuff"?
I would bet a crisp new $100 dollar bill you're one of those guys who would buy a "Made in China" socket set because it was $4 cheaper.
That kinda bull SSSSSSSSSSS thinking is why we're at where we're at in this country.
Just the kinda thing Nancy Pelosi & Jeff Bezos want us to think.
Everyone mad at someone getting government aid, and then mad at someone for wanting better pay & better healthcare.
I guess I can't mention being on "government aid" on a thread full of farmers tho, can I?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Over your head apparently.............

Every American has the opportunity to buy healthcare and work hard for the pay they deserve.. but expecting someone to give it to everyone in equal portions is very............ liberal....

While I'm not in favor of unions, if the employees can get what they want, they should go for it. It is also easy to become jealous or envious of the CEO's making so much money.

Let's not forget, we live in the freest country in the world and if we want those types of salaries, we need to be willing to do what those people did to get there. I have no problem with other people's incomes or lifestyles because I have come to understand this principal. I do not have that lifestyle because I am not willing to do what they did to get there.

I like my life - God has given me enough. More than I need to survive but not so much that I forget Him and think I can do this alone.
When it comes to CEOs of large companies, it's a club, and you ain't in it.
It's not as simple as "go to school and work hard", it just isn't.
I had several long beer fueled conversations with an executive VP of Volvo NA, on of the top 3 guys.
He laughed at the idea anyone with a good head for business + brains alone would ever make it to that level.
Self start up founder/CEOs are a different matter, but there's still a club

Over your head apparently.............

Every American has the opportunity to buy healthcare and work hard for the pay they deserve.. but expecting someone to give it to everyone in equal portions is very............ liberal....
Making your own point be something completely different out of what I said is very.................................................................................... apparently your party has you brainwashed. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I don't care what label you put on me. I'm independent, corporations & their lobbyists have warped your brain into thinking you're on their side.

Latest posts