Deere Strike

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) —
"This is probably the best bargaining position that John Deere has been in many years," Iowa State University economics professor Peter Orazem said. "I mean the company is doing very well and the company wants to be expanding and doesn't have enough workers"

John Deere is projected to earn $6 billion this fiscal year, which is a new record, shattering the previous revenue record set in 2013 by 61%. The company employs about 7,000 workers around Iowa.

More than 10,000 John Deere workers could go on strike for the first time in 30 years.

KCRG reports the United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Workers (UAW) and John Deere were back at the negotiating table in Moline, Illinois, Monday.

This came after union members overwhelmingly rejected a new contract Sunday night with John Deere.

Approximately 90% of union members voted "no" to the tentative agreement reached, which was announced Friday. The tentative agreement came after an extension was announced in September to avoid the original Oct. 1 deadline.

UAW Local 838, based out of Waterloo, posted on its Facebook another extension will occur until Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. If there is no deal, a strike will begin at that time. It would be the first strike since 1986, which lasted more than five months.

Orazem said strikes have become very uncommon, especially during economic slowdowns, and that the current situation is different because employees have more leverage due to labor shortages.

So I can forget about that new tractor that I put off buying for a year

I am for the most part anti strike .
But after what John Deere's position on their software which forces you to use dealers for all repairs.Then charges you to clear codes for something as simple as a plugged filter. Not to mention all the down time .
I don't have much sympathy for John Deere .

Not a bad idea but the over all market looks pricey compared to our economic reality. Or what I think our economic reality is.
Almost everything is overpriced. Stock, land, pickups, tuition... Thing is the Feds want it that way, and there is no limit to the money they can create.

I think it is a good time to take some profits off the table, and buy something useful with lasting value, like lime or guns.

Deere used to do an overly good job on taking care of their employees after they retired. The younger employees want life time health care for them selves and their spouses just like the old timers got. Ain't gonna happen.

So why is john deere biting the hand that feeds them

Last edited:

Latest posts