Deer Valley Growth Fund

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
Anyone getting an early start using him? Starting to hear rumblings that he's the next big thing ….

torogmc81":24sk5jrc said:
Anyone getting an early start using him? Starting to hear rumblings that he's the next big thing ….

He certainly has huge numbers. I'm getting a little leary of that with some of the bulls out there. But if his Dam puts out good calves and you know what type and kind they are, then go for it. I'm sure Growth Fund will be used heavily

LCBulls":1a704zdh said:
torogmc81":1a704zdh said:

We really liked our Playbook calves and they will work on heifers. We took the plunge on VAR Power Play. Paternal brother to Playbook and Growth Fund. His Dam is a little more proven, so we went for it.

Another young bull that looks promising to me is Baldridge Thor.(Hoover No Doubt X Baldridge Beast Mode full Sister) He sells in about a month.

torogmc81":3s8c9bsd said:
Available through Select Sires; he'll certainly be big with the Hot Bull of the month club set.
MH top 4% MW top 2% $EN bottom 5%
Growth Fund's daughters will also be members in good standing of the Big Eaters club.

$E of -42?!? :shock:
Count me out if I need a strictly terminal sire, I'll use a Char or Limo bull..

LCBulls":vzzf76hm said:
torogmc81":vzzf76hm said:

He certainly has huge numbers. I'm getting a little leary of that with some of the bulls out there. But if his Dam puts out good calves and you know what type and kind they are, then go for it. I'm sure Growth Fund will be used heavily
I agree with you about the numbers. And they never hold, but some take them so seriously when he doesn't even have daughters or prog. yet. They will change! Trust me, I use DNA testing on all our calves, and it helps sell them to those that ONLY look at numbers, I can't change their mind, and I'm not going to talk someone out of buying a bull calf because they like his top 4% $W. Everyone uses the numbers differently. I have to have a happy medium of the phenotype and maternal production side blended with the paper side. I am constantly tyring to learn and improve, but there's nothing hard for me when it comes to listening to the reaction of what folks want or don't want. I'm not chasing every one of them, but I have to grab a certain percentage to keep my ball rolling. IMO

Lazy M":1lfl7qhc said:
Unless they grow better than the Char or Limo. Why turn away the premiums?

I flushed a cow to him, hope i get the pregnancies sold before he falls by the wayside, if not ill have some calves in Sept, just had access to it thought id try and play the game, have some of the first

Cdcollett":34dglfhl said:
Lazy M":34dglfhl said:
Unless they grow better than the Char or Limo. Why turn away the premiums?
If your cattle are already Angus-based you'll get a hybrid vigor boost from a Continental sire that would be difficult for the Growth Fund bull to match.

It would be interesting. I've been disappointed by hybrid vigor. Not a bad experience with charolais but the pounds didn't make up for the premiums against fairly maternal angus genetics. If those numbers were to be real, and only time will tell, they are more than I think hybrid vigor gets you. Hybrid vigor worked great when we were going from Hereford to continentals and angus in the 80s but now I'm really not so sure. Just my opinion.

Cdcollett":4j5eo9j1 said:
It would be interesting. I've been disappointed by hybrid vigor. Not a bad experience with charolais but the pounds didn't make up for the premiums against fairly maternal angus genetics. If those numbers were to be real, and only time will tell, they are more than I think hybrid vigor gets you. Hybrid vigor worked great when we were going from Hereford to continentals and angus in the 80s but now I'm really not so sure. Just my opinion.
Good point. Depends on your market. I was talking to a couple farmers that had switched to Char bulls recently. One had studied the local sales and had determined that his non-black calves need to average around 30 lbs more to offset the dock that he expects to receive. He hadn't sold yet this year, but he thinks his current calf crop will exceed his 30 lbs threshold..