Deer season

Help Support CattleToday:

Youngest son sent me a picture of a nice buck he shot yesterday. Older buck past his prime. I call him a 3 point with eye guards. You eastern guys would call it an 8 point. Field dressed he hung up 186 pounds. That is a big bodies deer for a Columbian Blacktail.

A state where hunter success is 20-25% on deer and 10% on elk, my two boys and another young man we hunt with are 3 for 3 on both deer and elk. Wish I had been able to hunt with them this year.

Son killed a heavy 9 point late this afternoon. Got scared I was going have to clean the thing. Ran up to Walmart with it, and found some Mexicans that wanted it.

cfpinz":33fg5m4w said:
Deer season was good to me this year...

Public land, on our own, diy. 3-1/2 miles from the pickup!
Man that's a bucket list hunt for me. I want a Muley really bad.

My 9 year old granddaughter has two under her belt so far. Her first year to really hunt and she loves it.
Told her the rental fee on my 223 is going up till I catch up.
I haven't pulled the trigger yet all I get is does.

Is it an odd year for bucks everywbere else too? Just not seeing the quality have seen in past years around here..let one go opening day that im thinking i should have taken now because nothing else has been even close. Fence has the nicest buck i have seen taken...even up here. Unusual for these parts. Even my tenant hunters are saying its been rough. Havent seen nothing grand at the butchers or hanging up in nearby barns...

bball":1nbnwv8b said:
Is it an odd year for bucks everywbere else too? Just not seeing the quality have seen in past years around here..let one go opening day that im thinking i should have taken now because nothing else has been even close. Fence has the nicest buck i have seen taken...even up here. Unusual for these parts. Even my tenant hunters are saying its been rough. Havent seen nothing grand at the butchers or hanging up in nearby barns...
Don't shoot anything the last day of the season you wouldn't shoot the first. Sounds a little backwards for you right now haha. Bad seasons happen. Keep after it. Especially during the rut and post rut is where a lot of older deer get killed.

farmboy80":3jvz5xyb said:
ohiosteve":3jvz5xyb said:
I haven't had time to bow hunt this fall, but a good friend of mine has been taking his 10 yr old daughter out on my place and he sent me this picture which was the highlight of her hunting experience so far. Just a little butt sniffing.

Lol! That's hilarious! I've not seen that before , but I've had them follow me to my tree, stand under it and stare at me. That's frustrating.

This was my view when I looked behind the tree I was hunting under. The cows hanging out at my hunting spot does not bother me though. I have had to wait for the cows to move so I can get a clear shot on a deer more than once. Most of the time I believe that deer do not pay much attention to cattle.

Killed a little forked horn blacktail thanksgiving morning with my muzzleloader and killed a raghorn bull elk with my rifle earlier in November.

Latest posts