Deer season to long

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Counting bow season and youth season... October 1 to January 21. For those who have to work around hunters that's four months we have to deal with them. I can understand not wanting a bunch of fence builders around but most deer hunters are convinced deer are terrified of cows. If that was the case they would starve to death. I can't count the times I've had to wait to shoot because cows where in the way.
I'm just saying.... with the demand for hunting leases around here. I'm redoing contracts next year.

Well for the most part I don't have to work around them so that's probably why I see it a little different but I rather it was as long as needed to cut down the population some!

ez14.":1p9ht6ld said:
Well for the most part I don't have to work around them so that's probably why I see it a little different but I rather it was as long as needed to cut down the population some!

Maybe make it year round they wouldn't get so uptight.. I'd be fine with that.

callmefence":62e38pjj said:
ez14.":62e38pjj said:

Dam ez..where you been buddy..? Great to see you back.

callmefence":1uqzcvbx said:
ez14.":1uqzcvbx said:

Most around here are year around.
Hog hunting in the off season seems to be a draw.
The Houston crowd invaded us from bow season through thanksgiving.
Then they vanish until March or April and a few hog hunters start showing back up.

Caustic Burno":12ib19l2 said:
callmefence":12ib19l2 said:
ez14.":12ib19l2 said:

Most around here are year around.
Hog hunting in the off season seems to be a draw.
The Houston crowd invaded us from bow season through thanksgiving.
Then they vanish until March or April and a few hog hunters start showing back up.

We lease year round with the stipulation that if they don't keep the hogs down we will bring in someone who can. They only start bitching during deer season.
The exception is a place I have subleased to a group of retired school teachers from Burnet. These old guys have some savy. I can run cows all over them it doesn't bother them a bit. It's the yuppie hunters from Austin.... which most of em are.

I'd hate to have a fence builder in the woods trying to work, while I'm trying to hunt. I know the rut is wide open in south Texas right now is it that way where you are? Cows don't bother the deer if the cows are there all the time. If you rotate cows into a new area it screws the deer up for a few days for sure. Deer are worth a lot of money, so I try and keep the cows out of the woods when I have hunters.

callmefence":bp7n5k34 said:
ez14.":bp7n5k34 said:

I could go for that :nod:

Oh I've just been busy! Over the summer I was working 65 to 75 hours a week and just wasn't coming up with the time to get over here

True Grit Farms":370f8pjb said:
I'd hate to have a fence builder in the woods trying to work, while I'm trying to hunt. I know the rut is wide open in south Texas right now is it that way where you are? Cows don't bother the deer if the cows are there all the time. If you rotate cows into a new area it screws the deer up for a few days for sure. Deer are worth a lot of money, so I try and keep the cows out of the woods when I have hunters.
The place im venting about this morning.
I've actually got it in my contract where we can move in a month after gun season. The cows are held in a 70 acre lot during season and I try to keep them there for the entire season. We're running out of water and feather's got ruffled at us moving in the cows. I reminded them of the contract, then said don't worry about it. I'll figure something out. I'm not going to have anyone say I did em wrong. I'll either haul water or move cows....and tighten things up next year.

You don't want to hear this, but my hunter only came for 3 days this year. Last year for 5. I make sure my hunter is as far away from my place as is geophracally possible. That alone limits the amount of time they are here.

I advertised mine on a bowhunting sight. That was like 7 or 8 years ago. I still get calls pretty regular. You might try that route. My experience is that bow hunters are usually pretty classy guys.

callmefence":1v4umx7h said:
True Grit Farms":1v4umx7h said:
The place im venting about this morning.
I've actually got it in my contract where we can move in a month after gun season. The cows are held in a 70 acre lot during season and I try to keep them there for the entire season. We're running out of water and feather's got ruffled at us moving in the cows. I reminded them of the contract, then said don't worry about it. I'll figure something out. I'm not going to have anyone say I did em wrong. I'll either haul water or move cows....and tighten things up next year.

You must have some real whiners.
I managed the lease across the road for years. It can make you hate a deer hunter that leases hunting rights that thinks he owns the place.

callmefence":3dq3gfph said:
Counting bow season and youth season... October 1 to January 21. For those who have to work around hunters that's four months we have to deal with them. I can understand not wanting a bunch of fence builders around but most deer hunters are convinced deer are terrified of cows. If that was the case they would starve to death. I can't count the times I've had to wait to shoot because cows where in the way.
I'm just saying.... with the demand for hunting leases around here. I'm redoing contracts next year.

I drove right up to 3 does and a buck Friday evening with my post driver. Was within 10 yards before moved 10 steps out of my way.

Farm Fence Solutions":23ce1rgx said:
callmefence":23ce1rgx said:

I drove right up to 3 does and a buck Friday evening with my post driver. Was within 10 yards before moved 10 steps out of my way.

The only way this bunch of wing nuts would believe that is if it was wrapped in mossyoak and ran on deer pizz.

I both run cattle and lease to deer hunt. I would not lease a place where I did not have the cattle. Most people over stock their places, especially lease places, and it effects all the wildlife.

We move the cattle in to a small pasture during deer season and turn them back out when it's done so we don't have to deal with them while hunting. We also run a very conservative number on that property. You can tell a difference in the wildlife compared to the neighbors. Cattle and deer compete for the same forage. Cattle are a great tool to manage the landscape when's it's done correctly... Most people dont.

Some thing to keep in mind is a lot of the guys who pay for the hunting leases won't bat one eye at buying out a cattle lease on good hunting ground if they need to in order to prevent issues. Here deer pay more than cattle so you either take both or play nice... the cattle guy will get the short end of the stick if push comes to shove.

Brute 23":3rse9gsn said:
Some thing to keep in mind is a lot of the guys who pay for the hunting leases won't bat one eye at buying out a cattle lease on good hunting ground if they need to in order to prevent issues. Here deer pay more than cattle so you either take both or play nice... the cattle guy will get the short end of the stick if push comes to shove.

Cattle come first here. And since I own the land I reckon I'll come out ok. I'm not turning the cattle in on them ( even though my contract says I can) cause that's the way I am. But you bet your britches they ll pay next year. Im keeping up with my expenses.....I'm thinking 3x

Modern firearm deer season here is 11 days. Bow season is a month but nobody hunting with a bow here because it is just way too open. A couple of weeks of muzzle loader but again very few hunters. The 250-300+ yard shooting eliminates bow and muzzle loader hunters.

callmefence":31xwj0op said:
Farm Fence Solutions":31xwj0op said:
callmefence":31xwj0op said:

The only way this bunch of wing nuts would believe that is if it was wrapped in mossyoak and ran on deer pizz.

The key is looking like something they ain't never seen, and nobody's ever seen anything like my post driver. :lol2: Think I'll take my bow with me in the morning.

Dave":1ltrcmx6 said:
Modern firearm deer season here is 11 days. Bow season is a month but nobody hunting with a bow here because it is just way too open. A couple of weeks of muzzle loader but again very few hunters. The 250-300+ yard shooting eliminates bow and muzzle loader hunters.

I gave up gun hunting a few years ago. It's amazing how close you can get to critters when you need to. ;-)

Farm Fence Solutions":288y1ahm said:
Dave":288y1ahm said:

I gave up gun hunting a few years ago. It's amazing how close you can get to critters when you need to. ;-)

I understand deer hunting. I know how to get close. I have hunted every year since 1962. I have shot Mule Deer, Columbian Blacktail, Whitetail, and Sitka Blacktail. I am only a Cuos deer short of a deer grand slam. But here I saw zero bow hunters or sign of them. Only saw a handful of black powder hunters. There are very few roads out here with miles in between roads. So if nothing else a person will see their vehicles parked along the road.

Latest posts