deer feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
we are going to do things a little different next year, and one of the things is to not visit our feed sites as often as this year and move feeders where they have some cover. this is a new feeder I just built, let me know the likes and dislikes or improvements I could do to it.

Brute 23":33l2scfu said:
Looks good. Fiberglass the top of those lids or buy the slip over ones. Those rust out on top because they hold water.

I assume those are protein feeders? What is your weekly consumption like?
my plans is to buy them Bass pro has them but I have not been up to pick them up yet

Brute my plans is to run some protein in them till late summer / early fall them switch to corn. I have a friend that made some kind of like these that work fairly well.
As for protein what would you recommend we always just ran corn in fall

I like the Lyssy and Eckel. I fed the Double Down for a while but I can get the LE locally. Some people swear by Purina. I think most of the name brands do the job.

Im a firm believer in the protein now. I've had it out for 4 years now you an tell the body condition of the deer going to the protein vs the deer who don't. What impresses me is it really helps to keep those deer in tight. With free choice feed, a water source, and plenty of does it really helps keep them from wondering. I keep a game camera over the protein year round and it really helps with identifying deer, aging them, checking if they are still alive. :) They bucks really hit them hard and recover fast after the rut also. Its amazing to watch the condition of a big buck prior to the rut... then watch how much condition he loses during the rut... the watch him come back. I see how so many bucks are lost post rut. I'm more addicted to watching my pets on the camera than actually shooting them. :lol:

I would say our deer population is kind of mid range. At a minimum I go thru about #100 a week. When the does are heavy bred they go to town on the protein. They can go thru #250 a week. In droughts they do a solid #200 per week. :shock: You may want to put 4 barrels on the next one. :)

We run a couple of the #1200 and they hold up good for the price. They are cheaper in most stores than advertised direct online. Im going to start using them for corn feeders also with timers as mine start rusting out. They hold up good and I have had zero problems with coons or squirrels on them.
https://www.bossbuck.com/products/feede ... otein.html

Brute 23":3u6069wl said:
Looks good. Fiberglass the top of those lids or buy the slip over ones. Those rust out on top because they hold water.

I assume those are protein feeders? What is your weekly consumption like?

Wash tub works perfect for a lid.

I have been doing some research on deer protein. I am not a tight wad but do try to be conservative and a lot of the time anything made for deer is priced 2x more than what is worth. Looking on some message boards I see people recommending soybean/corn mix and also 20% creep. They are saying anything that has at least 20% protein will do good.
Any ideas

BRYANT":1wwg0ujr said:
I have been doing some research on deer protein. I am not a tight wad but do try to be conservative and a lot of the time anything made for deer is priced 2x more than what is worth. Looking on some message boards I see people recommending soybean/corn mix and also 20% creep. They are saying anything that has at least 20% protein will do good.
Any ideas
Soybeans work good and nothing but the deer eat them. You need to train the deer to eat the beans with corn. I think your going the right direction.

True Grit Farms":bhxbbqez said:
BRYANT":bhxbbqez said:
Any ideas
Soybeans work good and nothing but the deer eat them. You need to train the deer to eat the beans with corn. I think your going the right direction.

The down side to corn mixes is you will attract the varmints. Maybe a protein blend with soybeans? They protein guys have gone out of their way to make the feed more attractive to deer so you specifically do not have to mix it with corn to get the deer started. They also claim there are minerals and stuff in the feed that may not be in just plain soybeans.

A lot of people do the cotton seed deal also but I haven't had much luck with it. I could never get the deer going on it. Turkeys love it though.

What is the cost on soybeans? I wouldn't mind finding some thing to do like a 50/50 cut on the protein if there was a significant savings.

Brute 23":1i4l8mft said:
True Grit Farms":1i4l8mft said:
BRYANT":1i4l8mft said:
Any ideas

The down side to corn mixes is you will attract the varmints. Maybe a protein blend with soybeans? They protein guys have gone out of their way to make the feed more attractive to deer so you specifically do not have to mix it with corn to get the deer started. They also claim there are minerals and stuff in the feed that may not be in just plain soybeans.

A lot of people do the cotton seed deal also but I haven't had much luck with it. I could never get the deer going on it. Turkeys love it though.

What is the cost on soybeans? I wouldn't mind finding some thing to do like a 50/50 cut on the protein if there was a significant savings.
$60 a barrel, and $30 for splits and sweepings.

True Grit Farms":2izu60d6 said:
Brute 23":2izu60d6 said:
True Grit Farms":2izu60d6 said:

$60 a barrel, and $30 for splits and sweepings.

That's pretty cheap :) I may see about mixing a small amount in mine. Thanks

I need solid feeders like that. I've seen a couple of the dominant bucks here get under the tripod feeders and knock them over and roll them around to get extra feed.

I hunt a lot and don't really like feeders. I have found that the biggest bucks like the natural thing which is corn on the cob. We overseed with clover and they eat a lot of that but I have not found a feeder or product that matches corn ont he cob.

And yes, varmits do get it but their consumption is fairly minimal relatively speaking.

BRYANT":270lnp5s said:
Any ideas
True ..... don't know about some of these mixes out there. Seems like it would be too easy for a deer to decide all he wants is soybeans and others want nothing but corn. One gets too much protein, the other not nearly enough. Most deer feeds are no better and really no different than anything else and are fiber based so are not high energy and often contain a low quality fiber. At one time deer pellets were primarily alfalfa. I've feed lay pellets the last few years just because I know they use soybean meal for protein, a high level of energy and have a higher level of both vitamins and minerals.

Brute whole cottonseed sound good but as you said most time deer won't eat them so it's just a waste of money.

dun":3eb45opx said:
I need solid feeders like that. I've seen a couple of the dominant bucks here get under the tripod feeders and knock them over and roll them around to get extra feed.
I got angle iron down the back of the PVC feed tubes with a chain around it and bolted. A friend of mine built some kind of like these and had a buck break them so I reinforced mine. I also have it fixed where you anchor the feeder to the ground, they are a little top heavy.

Brute 23":2ew56cin said:
Our local mill doesn't have whole soy beans. It's ground up already.

This is why I always just end up buying the stuff made for deer or what ever. All these cheaper alternatives always end up a pia.
I know a local farmer that will sell me all I want. I know another man buying from him but not sure what he is paying but will find out.

BRYANT":3296cau4 said:
we are going to do things a little different next year, and one of the things is to not visit our feed sites as often as this year and move feeders where they have some cover. this is a new feeder I just built, let me know the likes and dislikes or improvements I could do to it.

Looks good I don't know anything about deer feeders and stuff but looks nice to me

skyhightree1":2frnlpg9 said:
Looks good I don't know anything about deer feeders and stuff but looks nice to me
is it legal to feed deer in your state, I know some it is not.

Latest posts