deer and cows and calves

Help Support CattleToday:

rocket2222

Reaction score
Someone mentioned deer and cows grazing together on another thread, with the amount of deer we have here, it happens all the time.

IMG_355211.jpg

IMG_356011.jpg

a couple of pics I took on the way home later that evening, I thought I'd post too.

about a ten week old getting a late night bath
IMG_357211.jpg

two month old bull calf
IMG_357011.jpg

It;s kind of a strange phenomonon around here. 20 miles north the cows and deer are frequently together. Here if there is a cow in the pasture there won;t be a deer any where around. Cows move out and within a couple of days the deer move in.

We have two types here, the permanent residents who stay 24/7 and the night crew who show up after dark, the residents pretty much ignore me even on the 4 wheeler, if I'm checking cows after dark, the night crew will usually run. Not unusual to see a couple of groups of 8/10 grazing, sometimes with the cows on my way out in the mornings. A horse farm I used to work at not to far from here also had deer that would graze with the horses.

I see them grazing together pretty often around here. Mostly early morning and evening. Doesn't seem to bother the cows, horse or the deer any, although one winter a few years ago it looked like one of the horned cows had taken a chunk off a deer that got too close to one of the hay bale rings.

They graze together here pretty regular too. Sometimes the calves will chase them.....probably because they will run.

rocket, you'd better start running those deer out of that field, they're going to eat you out of house and home. Anybody can tell the cow in the second picture is plumb starving to death!

3waycross":2tr8w2ri said:
Suzie Q":2tr8w2ri said:
LOL!!

I would be more worried about hunters if you have deer hunting seasons.

Why is that?
around here the idot hunting club members from the city will shoot any thing that moves or just the run of the mill dumb ass,,, not uncommon to find one with a arrow or bullet buried in it... hunting here is different because most is done in the mountains and the cattle will be around the lower edge in the cedars some cattlemen will use the rocks too feed hay on to

HOSS":1igfs5bh said:
They graze together here pretty regular too. Sometimes the calves will chase them.....probably because they will run.

Mine don't chase deer, but they'll sure chase a bear who's passing through.

cfpinz":27c36b58 said:
rocket, you'd better start running those deer out of that field, they're going to eat you out of house and home. Anybody can tell the cow in the second picture is plumb starving to death!

Good thing I don't have any really good pasture, I read somewhere 5 deer will eat the same as one cow, so in the summer when there's no grass growing I complain about the deer eating all my pasture up, now I'm bush hogging I try not to bush hog the babies. :? :)

Suzie Q":3dp9f1fu said:
LOL!!

We backed off letting to many people hunt when one idiot shot and killed one of the wife's horses, her brother still hunts, and I have friends who hunt the properties on both sides of us. They have become a pest, there's way to many of them round here, there's more killed on the highway than the hunters get. They also taste good.

rocket2222":99o4wds5 said:
Suzie Q":99o4wds5 said:
LOL!!

We backed off letting to many people hunt when one idiot shot and killed one of the wife's horses, her brother still hunts, and I have friends who hunt the properties on both sides of us. They have become a pest, there's way to many of them round here, there's more killed on the highway than the hunters get. They also taste good.

You got that idiot's number? Wonder if he'd like to hunt here? I'll even superglue some horns to the wife's horse if he's trophy hunting!