Decision time: need opinions ASAP on vaginal prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
346
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
I bought this Hereford from a private party in November along with 3 others. They were to be all bred to a registered polled Hereford. This is the first one to calve 3 weeks ago. She was in labor 2 days ( very light labor , nothing telling us it was actual labor) she calved the 2nd night in a 2 hour span that I fell asleep. Anyway she didn't deliver a live calf. We tried to graft another calf - it didn't work so now have 2 orphan calves( had to buy another for it to be with).I bought her for $750.00 This Easter Sunday had an emergency vet appt. because she had a vaginal prolapse another $120.00. (not counting the bull calves$$) My question is : I have the vet coming in the morning and I need to decide, do I vacinate & worm her & breed her back or do I not do anything and send her for hamburger? I really don't know how honest the seller was to me as I never received any records that I asked for , and I think at least 1 cow is open & 1 just calved and it looks more Angus then Hereford with alot of markings on the face. Don't really know until tomorrow if the last 2 to calve are bred or not.I don't think the seller would even tell me if these that he sold to me are his problem cows that gave him trouble.Funny thing once he got the money it wasn't his problem . Do I take the chance & breed and hope it doesn't happen again and try to get some money back? Or do I lose money and get hamburger? What are the chances it would happen again? If it was just because of a big calf would she still be more likely to prolapse again?
Thanks so much to anybody that can help me ASAP as I have to make a decision by morning because the vet is coming!
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
Send her down the road and replace her with another. Was the calf large the breeder reputable? If she has prolapsed even if you get her well she will probally prolapse again. What are her bloodlines the bull she was breed to? What do her EPD's say?
 
OP
Kelly

Kelly

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
346
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
Yes the calf was large. He didn't tell me the registered bull's name,number or info. when I tried to get it. In fact didn't get the vacin. records or dates to calve or nothing. He said he kept everything natural?? (after he had the money) The only other info I can add is she has had some mucus drainage since she calved - 3 weeks ago and was going to have her checked when the vet came. I don't know if that could contribute to a prolapse or not. Needless to say I guess not a person I will do business with again. I was just trying to improve and enlarge my herd! Which I guess hasn't worked out!
Thanks!
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
Kelly":2kd4zvt9 said:
Yes the calf was large. He didn't tell me the registered bull's name,number or info. when I tried to get it. In fact didn't get the vacin. records or dates to calve or nothing. He said he kept everything natural?? (after he had the money) The only other info I can add is she has had some mucus drainage since she calved - 3 weeks ago and was going to have her checked when the vet came. I don't know if that could contribute to a prolapse or not. Needless to say I guess not a person I will do business with again. I was just trying to improve and enlarge my herd! Which I guess hasn't worked out!
Thanks!

Kelly I'm sorry Herefords are good cattle,you can have problems in any breed. I think your problem is a dishonest breeder thats needs to have a come to Jesus meeting with an axe handle. Breeders like this guy p*ss me off, there a lot of good Hereford people out there. If you need to find a quality breeder in your area contact the AHA. Keep trying I don't know how long you have been in the cattle business you have seen the bad side lesson one.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
2
Location
MO Ozarks
Herefords as a breed do tend to have more of a problem with prolapse then other breeds. But it's no reason to discard the breed from your plans.
Conventional wisdon is that if they prolapse before calving they will keep prolapsing and if they prolapse after calving they won't. In a lot of these cases conventional wisdom is crap. Better to save the heartace and dollars and dispose of her. Talk to the jerk, opops, breeder that you got her from. If he's willing to make some sort of compenstion on the problems you have had, although it isnt really required of him, he's probably basicly honest. If he pretty mcuh feels buyer beware, let everyone in the county know the problrms you had with him. Don't slander or be malicious, just get the word out that this gent isn't too reputable.
Of course that's just my opinion, but I feel that an honest name and reputation is the first and foremost quality one has to have in this business.

dun

Kelly":u4md51nc said:
Yes the calf was large. He didn't tell me the registered bull's name,number or info. when I tried to get it. In fact didn't get the vacin. records or dates to calve or nothing. He said he kept everything natural?? (after he had the money) The only other info I can add is she has had some mucus drainage since she calved - 3 weeks ago and was going to have her checked when the vet came. I don't know if that could contribute to a prolapse or not. Needless to say I guess not a person I will do business with again. I was just trying to improve and enlarge my herd! Which I guess hasn't worked out!
Thanks!
 

TLCfromARK

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
551
Reaction score
0
Location
Southwest Arkansas
Kelly":2rgv0exw said:
I bought this Hereford from a private party in November along with 3 others. They were to be all bred to a registered polled Hereford. This is the first one to calve 3 weeks ago. She was in labor 2 days ( very light labor , nothing telling us it was actual labor) she calved the 2nd night in a 2 hour span that I fell asleep. Anyway she didn't deliver a live calf. We tried to graft another calf - it didn't work so now have 2 orphan calves( had to buy another for it to be with).I bought her for $750.00 This Easter Sunday had an emergency vet appt. because she had a vaginal prolapse another $120.00. (not counting the bull calves$$) My question is : I have the vet coming in the morning and I need to decide, do I vacinate & worm her & breed her back or do I not do anything and send her for hamburger? I really don't know how honest the seller was to me as I never received any records that I asked for , and I think at least 1 cow is open & 1 just calved and it looks more Angus then Hereford with alot of markings on the face. Don't really know until tomorrow if the last 2 to calve are bred or not.I don't think the seller would even tell me if these that he sold to me are his problem cows that gave him trouble.Funny thing once he got the money it wasn't his problem . Do I take the chance & breed and hope it doesn't happen again and try to get some money back? Or do I lose money and get hamburger? What are the chances it would happen again? If it was just because of a big calf would she still be more likely to prolapse again?
Thanks so much to anybody that can help me ASAP as I have to make a decision by morning because the vet is coming!

Sorry to hear about your problems. I agree with Campground and Mr. Dun about getting rid of her. You should cut your losses and sell her, don't throw your money & time into a cow that has a good chance of having problems again.
As for the person who sold the cattle to you, mark it down as a learning experence, something most of us has gone through at one time or the other. Good luck to you which ever way you go.
;-)
 

BLACKPOWER

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
268
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Nebraska
Kelly":1p7amkob said:
I bought this Hereford from a private party in November along with 3 others. They were to be all bred to a registered polled Hereford. This is the first one to calve 3 weeks ago. She was in labor 2 days ( very light labor , nothing telling us it was actual labor) she calved the 2nd night in a 2 hour span that I fell asleep. Anyway she didn't deliver a live calf. We tried to graft another calf - it didn't work so now have 2 orphan calves( had to buy another for it to be with).I bought her for $750.00 This Easter Sunday had an emergency vet appt. because she had a vaginal prolapse another $120.00. (not counting the bull calves$$) My question is : I have the vet coming in the morning and I need to decide, do I vacinate & worm her & breed her back or do I not do anything and send her for hamburger? I really don't know how honest the seller was to me as I never received any records that I asked for , and I think at least 1 cow is open & 1 just calved and it looks more Angus then Hereford with alot of markings on the face. Don't really know until tomorrow if the last 2 to calve are bred or not.I don't think the seller would even tell me if these that he sold to me are his problem cows that gave him trouble.Funny thing once he got the money it wasn't his problem . Do I take the chance & breed and hope it doesn't happen again and try to get some money back? Or do I lose money and get hamburger? What are the chances it would happen again? If it was just because of a big calf would she still be more likely to prolapse again?
Thanks so much to anybody that can help me ASAP as I have to make a decision by morning because the vet is coming!

Go buy 10 goats, 50 Holstein Bull calves, a Tennessee Walking Horse, and some non implanted geese. Seems thats where the money is in the market according to the people on this board. John in Indiana had some darn good replacement heifers but I'll bet he sold em all in the first day after he had their pictures posted.
 
OP
Kelly

Kelly

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
346
Reaction score
0
Location
Minnesota
Thanks! I am new to this and didn't get the PM. Now I did finally reply! Well the vet cancelled so I still have time to decide , but so far I have her planned to bring in to butcher on Monday. That seems like the answer. It just really stinks though when because she really is a nice looking cow with a good disposition. Thanks again for your replys!
 

Latest posts

Top