Decision on bull

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
All,

I'm looking to buy some semen on a registered black angus bull and wanted your thoughts. I have 3 cows and 3 heifers that need to be bred. I'm trying to grow my herd so maternal traits of the bull are most important. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

KW

I don't know a whole lot about cattle as im just getting started myself but ABS power tool and progression were my two picks, calving ease, milk, and docility is what im breeding for as I plan on hanging onto my heifers.

Without seeing your animals and knowing their frame size, their carrying capacity, their mothering and milk - to discuss bulls is almost an exercise in futility and a common topic here - that will often do nothing more than confuse the issue or at a minimum run you in circles and accomplish nothing.

As an example while maternal is important - in fact it might not be the thing you actually need. And in truth EPD's are simply a tool and not always as accurate as you might think - especially when applied to an uknown - ie - your girls.

To suggest a bull with even that minimum information is still very much like shooting in the dark - with luck you might hit something.

One final thing - remember this - runnning with the pack and using the "bull of the day" is often the worst thing you can do.

Somtimes - depending upon your animals - the bull that everyone loves will indeed work - but it can also turn into a disaster.

So - take a drive and look around and visit folks near by and ask them what they are doing. The benefit of this is you get to see the moms, you get to see the bull and you get to see the calves. And a big plus is you will get to meet a lot of folks that are able to provide on site ideas. Helps to join your local cattlemens association as well.

Call up a couple of local semen dealers - they will have catalogues of what is out there and available - plus pics and stats.

Put your location up on your profile - it helps to know where the person you're talking to comes from.

Best of luck - let us know how it goes

Bez

tnwalkingred":ejag8tg8 said:
All,

I'm looking to buy some semen on a registered black angus bull and wanted your thoughts. I have 3 cows and 3 heifers that need to be bred. I'm trying to grow my herd so maternal traits of the bull are most important. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

KW

There are a lot of good angus bulls that would work AI but without some knowledge of how your cows are bred or the phenotype it is hard to make any good suggestions. I can suggest a bunch of different bulls depending on what you're trying to accomplish, just give us some more info.

All,

I'll try and post the registration numbers of my cows on here so everyone can see how their EPDs look. Two of the cows are medium frame and one is a large frame. They are all 3 very good milkers.

Chuckie,

I would have to measure the cows? Do you use this measurement as a specific trait when looking for a bull to AI to?

KW

ResizedImage_1373645139892.jpg

One of the medium frame cows with her heifer calf from early this year.

snake67":3tspjcxt said:
Without seeing your animals and knowing their frame size, their carrying capacity, their mothering and milk - to discuss bulls is almost an exercise in futility and a common topic here - that will often do nothing more than confuse the issue or at a minimum run you in circles and accomplish nothing.

As an example while maternal is important - in fact it might not be the thing you actually need. And in truth EPD's are simply a tool and not always as accurate as you might think - especially when applied to an uknown - ie - your girls.

To suggest a bull with even that minimum information is still very much like shooting in the dark - with luck you might hit something.

One final thing - remember this - runnning with the pack and using the "bull of the day" is often the worst thing you can do.

Somtimes - depending upon your animals - the bull that everyone loves will indeed work - but it can also turn into a disaster.

So - take a drive and look around and visit folks near by and ask them what they are doing. The benefit of this is you get to see the moms, you get to see the bull and you get to see the calves. And a big plus is you will get to meet a lot of folks that are able to provide on site ideas. Helps to join your local cattlemens association as well.

Call up a couple of local semen dealers - they will have catalogues of what is out there and available - plus pics and stats.

Put your location up on your profile - it helps to know where the person you're talking to comes from.

Best of luck - let us know how it goes

Bez
Great advice right there. :nod: If you are thinking of a breed call a breeder and go look at his results, ask questions. Make an informed decision. Good luck and enjoy your cattle. :tiphat:

I always consider the frame of the bull. If your cattle are small framed, I wouldn't use a really large bull to AI them with. Some of the bulls are close to 60" tall and have really square shoulders, which make it harder on smaller cows when they are calving. If you like the size cow you have, then try to stay in that bracket, and if you want to incase it, then go up a notch or two. You said that one of the cows was larger, so she might could take any size bull you wanted to use.

Sorry for the late response. I seem to lose track of the posts at times.

Latest posts