Deciding future of heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
Heifer gave birth last week. She did a great job delivering and caring for new calf. All in all she is a good mom.

Calf had no will to live. Ended up tubing her until she figured out she can get the same from mom, without a two foot tube being shoved down her thoat. Calf is looking good at this point.

My question is the future. If I keep the mom, will her future calves tend to be as dumb as this one?

Second question is do I entertain the idea of keeping the calf down the road as a herd addition, or will she pass on the stupid calf trait?

The overall question is about the calf being so slow to start. Is this a isolated event, or is this a trend that is carried over?

The birth was that of a mature cow. I checked on them at midnight. This cow was out eating at hayring, no sign of any visable labor. At 3am checked again, and a wet calf was there, mom just starting to lick.

Assume that she went into labor the minute I turned my back, that would be three hours to delivery.

Thanks for your feedback.

I wouldn't keep the calf. Stupidity could have come from the bull and then there are some calves that just want to die. If the cow did her best to get the calf up and going and was easy to work with then I'd try her again.

Victoria":3c4xeyvk said:
I wouldn't keep the calf. Stupidity could have come from the bull and then there are some calves that just want to die. If the cow did her best to get the calf up and going and was easy to work with then I'd try her again.

I agree with you there. Also remember that a slow calf can be due to a lack of minerals. What is the mineral program these cows are on? Did you give selenium or anything like that to this calf?

I am using a loose mineral program that is put together by local feed mill, that is a good operation. They sell to real farms and change up their mineral progarm about every 2-3 years as education and situations change.

I think my mineral program is in the way I am feeding it. I need to get a mineral feeder that is more accessable.

I did not give any selenium, as it was suggested after the calf was up and around.

I will keep some on hand for the rest that will be calving in a few weeks.

I, most likely, wouldn't keep the calf as a replacement. As for the cow, as long as she continues to be a goog momma, I'd keep her.

Katherine

Latest posts