Deciding Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am just starting out. I have three semital heifers. I have already decided that I want to switch breeds. I am looking at either Angus or Chiangus, but i'm not sure which one draws more at market. Will some one let me know their opinion on this matter. Thanks

[email protected]

Go with Angus. Chiangus is just a cross, not a true breed. If you select carefully you can find Angus cattle with the frame necessary to compete with any exotic, but retaining Angus traits. Once you have a good uniform cowherd established, you can crossbreed on your own if you choose to.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> I am just starting out. I have
> three semital heifers. I have
> already decided that I want to
> switch breeds. I am looking at
> either Angus or Chiangus, but i'm
> not sure which one draws more at
> market. Will some one let me know
> their opinion on this matter.
> Thanks

Before deciding which breed to choose, do some homework. Personally, I prefer Angus, and the blacks and baldies do better at the sale barn I use. However, about 30 miles from me there is a man that raises Charlais. I'm not sure where he sales them, but I do know from experiance they do not sell well at the market I use. This being said, I would suggest you going to the sale barn and take notes on what sells best there or if you are doing private treaty sales check out what your neighbors are raising.

[email protected]

Why are wanting to change from Simmenthal to something else?

dun

> Thanks

Where do you plan to sell them? Locally, not too far away, out of state or what? If selling locally, go with what the locals have and what sells best at sales. If you are marketing via private treaty, have a website, and sell long-distance via national advs. and internet, then breed and raise what you want to and let the buyers come to you.

[email protected]

> Go with Angus. Chiangus is just a
> cross, not a true breed. If you
> select carefully you can find
> Angus cattle with the frame
> necessary to compete with any
> exotic, but retaining Angus
> traits. Once you have a good
> uniform cowherd established, you
> can crossbreed on your own if you
> choose to.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada spoken like a true angus breeder why shift from semmintal? they cross to anything, have wonderful milk,are easy to work,sure they are hay burners but cross them and keep the heifers about 50% of my herd are semmi+ and they are money makers as long as calves are sold by the lb and you are not into show this would be my choice Regards Art (redcountry farms)

[email protected]

What reasons do you have for getting rid of the heifers you already put time and money into?

> Thanks

[email protected]

Latest posts