Dec. 7th 1941

Help Support CattleToday:

angie2

Reaction score
Do you remember what you were doing Sunday, Dec. 7th, 1941 when you heard that the Japanese had attacked the US Naval Base at Pearl Harbor, just west of Honolulu Hawaii?

The surprise attack triggered the United States entrance into World War II.

Vice-Admiral Chuichi Nagumo led a 33 ship Japanese strike force that steamed under the cover of darkness to within 200 miles of Oahu Island. Nagumo's Carries launched about 360 airplanes against the Pacific Fleet, under AdmiralHusband E. Kimmel, and Hawaiian ground troops under General Walter C. Short.

The first bombs fell at about 7:55 am Hawaiian time, and the chief targets were the 8 US battleships among the 92 vessels anchored in the harbor. The assault lastd about 2 hours. The US had 18 ships sunk or severly damaged, about 170 airplanes destrroyed and about 3,700 casualties. Among the losses were the battleships Arizona, California, Oklahoma and West Virginia. Fortunately, for the US, no aircraft carriers were tied up to the base during the attack. Kimmel and Short were criticized for the losses.

US President Franklin D Roosevelt called Dec 7th "a day that will live in infamy." For American troops, "Remember Pearl Harbor" became a rallying cry for a was that was to last until Sept. 2, 1945.

World War II killed more persons, damaged more property, affected more people and probably caused more far-reaching changes than any other war in history.

(Info from World Book Encyclopedia)

Any one remember?

*all typos are mine ~ no copy/paste. sorry...

I was probably crapping in my daiper. But I know what I was doing on Dec 8th 1970, getting married to my long suffering partner and best friend!

dun":m35gbczm said:
I was probably crapping in my daiper. But I know what I was doing on Dec 8th 1970, getting married to my long suffering partner and best friend!
Good for you for remembering ~ lucky you and lucky her :nod:
Happy Anniversary (;

It is also my FIL's birthday. Happy brithday, Ken, you old fart. Do me a favor and be nicer to me, would ya? I took you son off your hands, for Pete's sake.

dun":2q4bz9rc said:
But at your age, will you remember tomorrow?

Happy Anniversary!

I wasn't even a glimmer in my Dads eye, as he didn't even know my Mum then.

when I first saw the title of the thread I thought it was mine resserected the one with the photo's on.... :oops:

A lot of us probably grew up hearing stories from the greatest generation about what THEY were doing that day. My mother always told the story of embroidering a large tablecloth while she listened to the report on the radio. She put that unfinished project away, and my older sister, born in '46, ended up finishing it many years later.

But, they (and you), were born into freedom as a result of the other generations efforts.... ;-)

Latest posts