death in calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have lost 12 calves to date, ages 2-3 months. In the beginning looks like resp. infection. Snotty noses, watering eyes. Within 5 days, death, no matter what we are doing for them. When posted, the lungs appear almost to have turned to "mush". Only very small amount of viable lung tissue remains. Within hours of death, the calves also has watery, gray stools. Four vets tell us they have never seen whatever this stuff is. One thing for sure, it is very fast spreading and does kill fast. Cows are not affected. It will be four days before lab reports are back. We are worried about the humans working with these calves as no one has seen this before. We are in South Dakota. If anyone has ever seen something that resembles these symptoms, please let us know. Karla Sollie

[email protected]

I am sorry I cant help you out, but it does concern me. I am in ND, and Id be interested when you find out what it is. And preventive measures we could take if such a loss should hit us as great.

We have lost 12 calves to date,
> ages 2-3 months. In the beginning
> looks like resp. infection. Snotty
> noses, watering eyes. Within 5
> days, death, no matter what we are
> doing for them. When posted, the
> lungs appear almost to have turned
> to "mush". Only very
> small amount of viable lung tissue
> remains. Within hours of death,
> the calves also has watery, gray
> stools. Four vets tell us they
> have never seen whatever this
> stuff is. One thing for sure, it
> is very fast spreading and does
> kill fast. Cows are not affected.
> It will be four days before lab
> reports are back. We are worried
> about the humans working with
> these calves as no one has seen
> this before. We are in South
> Dakota. If anyone has ever seen
> something that resembles these
> symptoms, please let us know.
> Karla Sollie

Because we are close to each other I will let you know as soon as the lab reports come in on the calves. They are trying three different meds on them and as of today only three more had died but several are still very sick. It almost acts like a type of Red Nose that just went crazy!!

[email protected]

Latest posts