death in calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Guess we all need more details on this one.

Could be many causes: mechanical injury, respiratory, cardiovascular, disease, feed type & quality, bacteria or virus issue, adverse reaction to a vaccination, weak genetic trait, immune problem, etc., etc.

[email protected]

> WE FOUND OUR 6 MONTH OLD CALF DEAD
> THIS AM. NO SIGNS OF ILLNESS,
> OTHERS IN HEARD SEEM FINE. CAN
> ANYONE HELP WITH THIS. THANKS, Could it be snakebite? I've lost calves like this unexplained,healthy calf then found dead.

[email protected]

WE HAVE COCCIDIOCIS IN OUR DAIRY HAND REARED CALVES.....IS IT WORTHWHILE TO STOP ALL MILK, ELECTROLYTE REPLACEMENT ONLY...AND FOR HOW MANY DAYS. 1 - 3 MONTHS OLD AFFECTED.

[email protected]

There are several strains of coccidia in cattle, although all are Eimeria. E. zuernii, bovi etc. Some are much worse than others, and can kill. I prefer to keep calves on milk, since they need the nutrition, and add in electrolytes in addition as needed. Treat with either amprolium as directed, sulfas as directed or rumensin (again, too slow for me...) in the sweet feed. My favourite preventative/treatment is deccox, but it isn't fast enough if you're losing calves. Vets are a resource which when used correctly can save you money, not cost it!! Use us! V

> WE HAVE COCCIDIOCIS IN OUR DAIRY
> HAND REARED CALVES.....IS IT
> WORTHWHILE TO STOP ALL MILK,
> ELECTROLYTE REPLACEMENT ONLY...AND
> FOR HOW MANY DAYS. 1 - 3 MONTHS
> OLD AFFECTED. Calves still receiving milk can be treated with Corid liquid conc. Use 2cc undiluted, add to their bottle once a day for 5 days. They don't seem to taste it.

I say call the vet , and keep them on the milk and electrolytes, they need the nutrition or they will get too weak and pass from that. We use I.V.s, if they get dehydrated that is when you are going to loose them.

kat

[email protected]

Latest posts