Death after castration

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Yesterday we took our 6-month calf to the vet to be surgically castrated at our vets advice. The calf seemed to be OK at the end of the day, but died sometime during the night. Is this something that happens often? Should we have castrated earlier or used another method? We're learning "on the fly" so any info would be appreciated.

[email protected]

Better ask your vet that did the surgery. I've never castrated one that old, but lots of people do without problems. I think banding is the way to go for that size animal. Sounds like your steer bled to death. I had a stud horse castrated a while back that was 5 years old and full of himself. Talk about having your hands full.

> Yesterday we took our 6-month calf
> to the vet to be surgically
> castrated at our vets advice. The
> calf seemed to be OK at the end of
> the day, but died sometime during
> the night. Is this something that
> happens often? Should we have
> castrated earlier or used another
> method? We're learning "on
> the fly" so any info would be
> appreciated.

we have taken them to the vet up to 700 to 800 pounds and older than that too with no problems

It's very common in my area to cut calves at weaning, 6-8 months old. Something went wrong with yours. You might talk to the vet about it.

> Yesterday we took our 6-month calf
> to the vet to be surgically
> castrated at our vets advice. The
> calf seemed to be OK at the end of
> the day, but died sometime during
> the night. Is this something that
> happens often? Should we have
> castrated earlier or used another
> method? We're learning "on
> the fly" so any info would be
> appreciated.

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY CATTLE YOU HAVE, BUT IF YOU HAVE ONLY A FEW HEAD, I DON'T THINK IT'S FEESABLE TO CASTRATE AT ALL. IF A LARGE OPERATION LOOSES A COUPLE CALVES, THEY CAN MORE THAN MAKE UP THE LOSS BECAUSE OF THE EXTRA MONEY THEY MADE PER HEAD, BY SELLING MANY CALVES THAT HAVE BEEN CASTRATED. DEATH AFTER CASTRATION IS SOMETHING I WOULD'NT SAY HAPPENS OFTEN, BUT IT HAPPENS. SOME CAN BLEED ALOT OTHERS CAN GET INFECTIONS. IF YOU ARE ONLY SELLING A FEW, IS AN EXTRA FEW BUCKS WORTH TAKING A CHANCE?

i got 5 holsteis steers i banded @ 3 months old balls fell off 1 month later i banded the horns 2 weeks 1 horn fell off little blood 3 weeks 2nd week the next 1 fell off

Howdy! I have been castrate 6 to 9 months old steers, and I never had a death loos because of that, probably you or your vet did a wrong procedure, I always clean up the area after surgery, all the instruments must be clean and I have to make sure that the artery and vein are not bleeding, and never suture the incision leave it open at this way you always have good drainage.[/b]

Thanks to all for the input. Our vet was very upset, said he'd never lost one to castration before. We are a very small oufit, mostly just raising for our freezer and a sale or two. We are seriously considering not castrating at all anymore. Are there any serious drawbacks to that?

cmc":21jgwg62 said:
Thanks to all for the input. Our vet was very upset, said he'd never lost one to castration before. We are a very small oufit, mostly just raising for our freezer and a sale or two. We are seriously considering not castrating at all anymore. Are there any serious drawbacks to that?

If you have any heifers being fed with the bulls they could get bred
and then you may have calving problems with a young heifer. If you
are feeding to butcher the cattle, the unborn calf will considerably hurt
your dressed percentage.

Latest posts