Dear Weather Guru's,

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Dear Weather Channel, National Weather Service, all local and national weather forecasters, et al:

Bite Me.

If you believed them, based on the tenor of your comment, I would say they already did BITE you

The gurus are calling for 100 degree temperature today with 89% humidity. Since I'll be in the hayfield most of the day I'll get a chance to evaluate their prediction. Based on the balmy conditions this morning I'm thinking they may have guessed it right. Now all I need is a bearing to go out so I can repair it without fear of catching a cold. :nod:

Jogeephus":1kv74zb3 said:
The gurus are calling for 100 degree temperature today with 89% humidity. Since I'll be in the hayfield most of the day I'll get a chance to evaluate their prediction. Based on the balmy conditions this morning I'm thinking they may have guessed it right. Now all I need is a bearing to go out so I can repair it without fear of catching a cold. :nod:
Jo I had a bearing go out tuesady evening was only a 30 minute fix except for having to drive the 50 miles to get it and then it was hot and humid putting it back together yesterday

Jogeephus":1egg80ti said:
Did your hay get wet on the day you had planned to bale?

Yup, the day I had planned to bale it and the three consecutive days afterwards. Yesterday was a chance of a thunderstorm and it rained all day. But after the last 3 summers, I'm not complaining about the rain.

Jogeephus":38egchcw said:

Mine did. Not by that evening shower that we had a 20% chance of, but the one that rolled thru this morning a 6:00 am when the rain chance was at 0%.

Let's just start flipping a coin. Cut it, heads. Let it grow, tails.

grannysoo":31ar06hg said:
Jogeephus":31ar06hg said:

Mine did. Not by that evening shower that we had a 20% chance of, but the one that rolled thru this morning a 6:00 am when the rain chance was at 0%.

Let's just start flipping a coin. Cut it, heads. Let it grow, tails.

Mine just got rained on too! :lol2: I had it raked and ready to go. Rain chance today was zilch - 20% chance of isolated thundershowers. No chance of rain tomorrow either. Felt the hay, it was dry enough to bale but could have dried a little more to be safe. So I went to town and planned on baling at 2:30 then it would have been perfect. Rolled first bale at 2:30 moisture was 12.5% so I went to baling. Wind picked up on the 13th bale and it started raining. Just shut it all down and went to the barn. Not a drop had hit the ground there. Oh well, we needed the rain and the heat index will be 105 Friday so it will dry quick enough.

UNBELIEVABLE A new cloud came out of the north about 2 hours ago and its pouring like Niagra Falls outside. Been without power for over an hour and the yard is standing in water. I've got mixed feelings on this as it was getting dry and we needed the rain BUT I also had plans to disappear early Friday so I really wanted to get the hay up. I'm NOT complaining but this really throws a monkey wrench in my plans for the weekend.

I'm just over here trying not to be jealous. :lol:

Seems we have a storm brewing off the coast of Mexico in the Pacific. If we could get this H pressure system over us to move about 4-500 miles east----maybe, just maybe we both would be in luck. Looks like it is piling up moisture out in West Texas and the Panhandle.

1982vett":31wg4cvh said:

Seems we have a storm brewing off the coast of Mexico in the Pacific. If we could get this H pressure system over us to move about 4-500 miles east----maybe, just maybe we both would be in luck. Looks like it is piling up moisture out in West Texas and the Panhandle.

Spit on the sun! :nod: Looks like we got an inch. I couldn't have asked for better hay conditions than this and then it gets rained on. I'm not whining mind you cause the memory of the last few years has put a little thing like rain on hay in perspective. Give me another two or three good rain years and maybe I'll go to whining and complaining but for now - the memory is all to vivid.

Jogeephus":38smvw6p said:
1982vett":38smvw6p said:

Spit on the sun! :nod: Looks like we got an inch. I couldn't have asked for better hay conditions than this and then it gets rained on. I'm not whining mind you cause the memory of the last few years has put a little thing like rain on hay in perspective. Give me another two or three good rain years and maybe I'll go to whining and complaining but for now - the memory is all to vivid.

We got 1/10 inch early last night. Everything is windrowed up, so looks like only the top is wet. If it doesn't rain any today, we'll start rolling this up this evening. :clap:

Mine looked good yesterday. Even smelled like it was ready. Ran the tedder over it for good measure and it threw out some big clogs of green grass that looked like it had just been cut. Gotta fluff it again after the dew dries and hope I can get it dry. It was knee deep when I cut it so it may still have the green clods in it. I'm not complaining though cause that rain did more good than harm and I probably could sell some horse hay. ;-) :lol2:

Jogeephus":1es42km4 said:
Mine looked good yesterday. Even smelled like it was ready. Ran the tedder over it for good measure and it threw out some big clogs of green grass that looked like it had just been cut. Gotta fluff it again after the dew dries and hope I can get it dry. It was knee deep when I cut it so it may still have the green clods in it. I'm not complaining though cause that rain did more good than harm and I probably could sell some horse hay. ;-) :lol2:

Yup. I've got some of that horse hay action going on too.....

Same here. I was hoping to finish yesterday but had some of those big green clods too. Had to run the tedder thru it again, so that put me a few hours behind getting to start baling it. Rolled up about a hundred or so before the dew set and looks like I can finish today after the dew dries off.

It was some kind of HOT yesterday.

I moved the last roll out of the field today from the first cut. Don't know what it is but I feel some kind of relieved when a cutting is done. Now if I can only fix the rake that the wife totalled...

Best of luck to everyone else.

Latest posts