Dealing with birds

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
How do you deal with birds in your barn? I am talking about prevention, not getting out your .22. Besides closing all possible doors and windows and using screens, what else can you do?

LoveMoo11":20y068b3 said:
How do you deal with birds in your barn? I am talking about prevention, not getting out your .22. Besides closing all possible doors and windows and using screens, what else can you do?

Put out Amdro with bird seed and they will be Black Flag Dead.

No offense here...lol

What kind of birds?

• Vultures
    Sparrows
    Pidgeons
    Hawks
    Barn Swallows
    Dodo Birds
    Cranes
    Cowbirds
    Owls
    Egrets
    Parrots
    Lovebirds
    Macaws
    Blackbirds
    Crows

LOL!

Method should be balanced with the type of bird... ;-)

Caustic Burno":1eyp6ctz said:
LoveMoo11":1eyp6ctz said:

Put out Amdro with bird seed and they will be Black Flag Dead.

Gopher "bait" works well too. Milo with a little additive for taste. ;-)

Running Arrow Bill":1r6h4yxx said:
No offense here...lol

What kind of birds?

• Vultures
    Sparrows
    Pidgeons
    Hawks
    Barn Swallows
    Dodo Birds
    Cranes
    Cowbirds
    Owls
    Egrets
    Parrots
    Lovebirds
    Macaws
    Blackbirds
    Crows

LOL!

Method should be balanced with the type of bird... ;-)

pigeons and barn swallows mostly..especially pigeons I HATE the nasty things. Definitely not parrots haha

I've seen folks put those plastic owls in the rafters of their barns and in the doors to airplane hangars. Don't know if it works well or not. I guess a pigeon would be scared of an owl. I just don't know if they are stupid enough to fall for that.

pigeons and barn swallows mostly..especially pigeons I HATE the nasty things. Definitely not parrots haha

Keep the Barn Swallows. They are good mosquito and other bad insect eaters. At our place the same ones return to their old nest every year! We have a nest on both our front and back porch as well as one or more in barn and in our loafing sheds.

Pidgeons...I haven't a clue! None in this part of the country. Thought they were mainly in cities and towns... Are they good to eat?? LOL!

Running Arrow Bill":2yrnpzf5 said:

Keep the Barn Swallows. They are good mosquito and other bad insect eaters. At our place the same ones return to their old nest every year! We have a nest on both our front and back porch as well as one or more in barn and in our loafing sheds.

Pidgeons...I haven't a clue! None in this part of the country. Thought they were mainly in cities and towns... Are they good to eat?? LOL!

Bill...I've heard the young fuzzy ones in the nest are good...never tried them....shot a big one and cooked it over a fire onetime....was like chewing on my boot.

TexasBred":21fcwi7j said:
Running Arrow Bill":21fcwi7j said:

Bill...I've heard the young fuzzy ones in the nest are good...never tried them....shot a big one and cooked it over a fire onetime....was like chewing on my boot.

I cant believe you ate a winged rat!

I don't have a problem with birds but I've heard and read some stuff about making pictures or drawings of things with big eyes and taping them to the ceiling and such. I would think since birds hate snakes, putting some rubber snakes in the rafters would help too.

Jogeephus":nxr18q8v said:
putting some rubber snakes in the rafters would help too.

Neighbor puts black rat snakes in his barn whenever he catches one. I about soil my drawers when one falls out of a rafter near me.

the plastic owls are all over the nuke plant and they help the pigeons roost and look around before they fly into the building...HAH!

Baby pidgeons are called squab and they are very tasty...just before they get ready to leave the nest. I don't remember if we ate the adults but we had italian friends who would shoot them in the barn and take em home!

Running Arrow Bill":1ra2asn6 said:

Barn swallows may be good mosquito eaters but they sh*t all over the place and eat grain out of the silage. The pigeons are much worse though. They probably eat more feed that the heifers. The barn where I work is less than a mile from a small city which explains the pigeons. its pretty cool, you go through all the stoplights and by all the stores and restaurants and turn on a dirt road-and suddenly you are in the middle of crop fields!! I wouldn't eat the things that's for sure!

I just thought about something that might help. My grandmother owned a farm that had some old tenant houses on it. Her house like the tenant houses werent' wired with electricty as they are today but when the electric co op came through everybody jumped at the chance to get a light bulb. They used a cloth and tar sheathed wire to run to the houses - no bigger than a mondern day extension cord. The wire was twisted with the ground and the hot all coiled up together. When I was a youngster, I used to go out and shoot my Red Rider at the thousands of starlings that migrated through each fall. One day I found myself near the tenant house and I saw what looked like hundred of starlings hanging upside down on the feed wire that went to the house. Apparantly the sheath had given way enough that the birds could touch both of the wires and get zapped. Maybe you could find some of that type wire and just pull the birds off every week or so. ;-) :lol2:

Latest posts