Deal or no deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know exact age but she's suppose to be bred with her 2nd calf now. If she is in fact bred she would be bred to polled herf bull. My plans is to keep her and see how she does with a calf and then either sell or keep and raise calves for sale barn. And I gave $450 for her because the owner needed cash quick.
If she's only about 4 years old...you got a great deal. Once she calves, she paid for herself...she's basically came free. She'd go close to double that price at auction-bred. There's no way she's 6 years old or older...she looks young...you'll know her age once she fills and produces milk.

Last edited:
My son bought one about like her a few years back . She is the smallest cow in the pasture , no matter how we worm her or feed her she always looks a little scruffy. Might weigh 900 on her best day but usually 800+ . But raises the biggest , best calf in the pasture. Might have a little shorthorn in her cause she's black with a sprinkling of roan/ white . He calls her Pepper. Has had 4 bulls/steers . Hoping for a heifer before she retires .

You must a neighbor. Same thing happens here regards
I'm right in the middle of 2 big rivers and this time of year we watch big storms build in the afternoons and cross our fingers but they almost always catch one or the other river and go right around us! Close enough for the thunder and light show and sometimes so close we can even smell the rain but close doesn't help the grass grow!

But I'm NOT complaining we are short but atleast back green and it could always be worse so thankful for what we are blessed with!!!!!

Tried a screaming hot wire and finally the corral trying to just keep her in long enough to finish the hay. Darn thing jumped over the panels and bent the top one a tad. Was not sorry to see her go.

I thought about that but I'm also trying to grow slowly so I think if she does good with a calf I'll keep her for as long as she gives me calves that help pay the bills!
We're trying to grow slowly, too, but with no rain (same situation here) it costs as much to feed a pregnant one as an open one. We culled a few this summer, and one more that I'm waiting to drop one. Then she's gone b/c she's batsh!t.