Deal or no deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

She looks like a keeper to me, the super sweet and gentle part was the final determiner. I don't like them crazy. I'd take a chance on her if I had plenty of feed for the winter months. Beautiful place, but looks like you have a little dry weather going on from the grass height.

She is kinda photogenic anther plus.

20210902_171612-jpg.7959

Don't know exact age but she's suppose to be bred with her 2nd calf now. If she is in fact bred she would be bred to polled herf bull. My plans is to keep her and see how she does with a calf and then either sell or keep and raise calves for sale barn. And I gave $450 for her because the owner needed cash quick.

Yes for sure! We were getting good rain up until July and we we've only had 1 really decent rain that actually just greened us back up but that was 2 weeks ago and not much since!

I usually rotate between 3 sections but when it started turning dry and brown I let them have it all. It's crazy because where I'm at its a probably a 30 or 40 mile radius that the rain just doesn't happen but all the way around us are getting a surplus!!!

I didnt take any of udder but she's not bagged at all so if bred not far along she's not with a bull yet but he will be there hopefully this weekend or next!

Good disposition, real decent price,,, hopefully she is already bred. I would have bought her too.

I picked up a young first calf heifer with a calf by her side last week for $800. Weighs almost 800 lbs so a little light but she is young... probably got bred too young and then calved... surprise??? Calf looks good, nice udder, cow could use a little to eat but not skinny. Figure we have some grass, and 2 cows with calves about 2-3 weeks old, for her to run with. Won't put a bull in with them til Nov as we are trying to tighten up calving windows and the other 2 of ours were supposed to be spring calvers but were late getting bred.... so going to move them back to the fall group. They ought to be in good shape to catch and get bred right back.... This young cow will have 4 good months from the time she calved to just feed the calf so I hope she will breed back then.

You bought her right. I would guess her coming 3 or 4 and not having enough milk to wet your mouth. Hopefully I am wrong.
For me, the bred PH would have given her a ride to the sale barn.

Not a bad deal. Maybe not a herd builder but you should be able to make money on her.

I got a good deal this summer myself. Three 4YO red angus with two weaning age calves for $2750. The cow without a calf had a corkscrew hoof. Unloaded off his trailer and back onto mine immediately. She brought 700 kill price. Weaned the calves, ran them through with a few others I had. Steer brought 850, heifer brought 590. I've got roughly 600 in two young cows with a lot of years in front of them. Nice framey cows, not the best attitudes but I can flip them if I can't get them calmed down by next spring.

I've looked several times, and still don't see where he gave 450.00 for her..

That's a darn good price especially if she's bred. We hauled off one fence crawling 3 year old bred black cow to the sale and got $660. Hope the next owner has better luck keeping her where she belongs.
On keeping one where it belongs, I had a bull giving my fence too much pressure between himself and heifers he wasn't to breed. Ran a hot top with solar fencer and just happened to watch him test it with nose. Oh, happy days, it was satisfying watch him trot back to his designated herd like a good boy. I hate for the cattle to wallow up on the fence.

Yes for sure! We were getting good rain up until July and we we've only had 1 really decent rain that actually just greened us back up but that was 2 weeks ago and not much since!

I usually rotate between 3 sections but when it started turning dry and brown I let them have it all. It's crazy because where I'm at its a probably a 30 or 40 mile radius that the rain just doesn't happen but all the way around us are getting a surplus!!!
You must a neighbor. Same thing happens here regards the weather.

Latest posts