Deal or no deal on this herd

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle467":zba573ke said:
greatgerts":zba573ke said:
tncattle467":zba573ke said:
If you cannot get at least 94% calf crop out of 60 cows you do not need to be in the business. I have between 94 and 100% calf crop every year. You will not make a profit with less than that.

Is this percent after you preg check? I am almost always near 100% calf crop if I do not take into account the opens that I had culled at preg check time.

Every year I am at 100% calf crop, every cow bred etc. All of the calves I lose die after birth, ie, get tangled in fences, get hungup in equipment, drowned in the pond, etc. I have never lost one to sickness just lost some to their being dumb.

EVERY year? How long has this been going on? 1 or 2 years?
I seriously doubt it as there will be some old cow that did not get bred, or a cow that loses a calf.

if your gonna run 1 bull with 60 or 70 cows.he needs tobe 2 or 2.5 yrs old.because as said the young bulls will spend all their time fighting an chasing the cows that are in heat.

sounds like the guy in part 2 is the one making out pretty well here.

I cant believe some of these figures you are posting. Around here you couldnt help but make money. 25k for 60 cows 3 bulls figures to less than $400/head. If they are good fleshy critters you could buy em for that price, wean/sell calves & pound out the cows at the sale barn & make money. And $10 for pasture are you kidding me?? Is there any grass on it at all? You dont say where you are located but in this area even the worst grassland will go for over 30/acre. Now I dont know about part two, I guess that is your decision, good help is worth what ever you are will to pay. Good luck to you.

60 hd. of cattle at say 1200 lbs avg. at 40 cents...$28,800.00....3 bulls at 45 cents...$2025...i think your initial investment will be safe..if it starts to go downhill sell out...let them know up front that you may be forced to sell out if you aren't happy... i've been in worse arrangements and lived..

I would take the deal only if I am the only one involved. It is your 25,000 investment up front. It is never a good idea to have a second person involved with your money. If it was such a grand deal the other man would have put up the 25 himself, and had both pieces of the pie. :tiphat:

Deal. It's not like you are getting married. If things are not working your way, sell the herd and keep the experience.

Not hijacking but this sounds erily similar.

I ran into a buddy of mine the other day and he told me of an offer very similar to this. He doesn't run any cows of his own just cuts hay off his place and rents pasture.

Says a young fella came to him with this deal; that he would spend $25,000 on a herd of 50 mother cows and the young fella would do all the work for 2 years and at the end of that time he would own the cows.

My friend in return would get ALL the calves for that 2 yr time frame. He would also provide ALL the hay and pasture.

Almost sounds like a scam but not quite. I told him that if he was serious to call me and I would help him evaluate the cowherd to see if they would give him at least a fair shot of making any money.

Thoughts?????????????

I'm sorry, but I am confused...

Says a young fella came to him with this deal; that he would spend $25,000 on a herd of 50 mother cows and the young fella would do all the work for 2 years and at the end of that time he would own the cows.
My friend in return would get ALL the calves for that 2 yr time frame. He would also provide ALL the hay and pasture.

Am I correct to understand that the young man buys the cows and does all of the work, your friend gets the calves and provides the hay & pasture for two years, then at the end of two years, your friend gets the cows too?

or is it: your friend buys the cattle, provides the hay and pasture, gets the calves for two years.
The young man will work for two years without being paid because he will get the 50 cows at the end of the two year period.

Either way, it sounds fishy to me.

or is it: your friend buys the cattle, provides the hay and pasture, gets the calves for two years.
The young man will work for two years without being paid because he will get the 50 cows at the end of the two year period.

Either way, it sounds fishy to me.[/quote]

It's this scenario. My friend does NOT want to be in the cow business. If we were closer I would have him in the cow business but he is 75 miles away and I just can't cover that much ground. I think he would do better just running some stockers and selling his extra hay. According to him it's the only way the kid can get started in the cow business.

Latest posts