Deal or Dud

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks a bit like putting Pioneer adapters on both ends of a John Deere hose. Call me crazy, but if there is a benefit, I don't see it. Dud.

I don't see how it saves much hassle. Still have to spin either the implement or PTO shaft to line it up, which is the toughest part I run into if the tractor has an automatic PTO brake.

Plus, I hate to add another part that could fail on an assembly that will wreak havoc if it let's loose.

Silver":zm971anv said:
Just run 1000 pto and they are never out of line. Shut the tractor off and the pto brake comes off.
That all depends on the tractor.. Our MF165 is a PITA.. the IH684 has about a 1/4 turn of "slop", I think it's especially to make hooking up implements easier

Brute 23":1hf944mh said:
I never knew it was hard to hook up a pto. :???:
Shoot, get some of those big heavy ones and have stuff all in the way and it's about all I can do on some of them.
Some I have to get real close and hook the pto up then back the rest of the way and hook the implement.

jedstivers":3vmwmxqb said:
Brute 23":3vmwmxqb said:
Shoot, get some of those big heavy ones and have stuff all in the way and it's about all I can do on some of them.
Some I have to get real close and hook the pto up then back the rest of the way and hook the implement.
Easiest way to hook up the heavy ones is hook a ratchet strap around the implement PTO shaft and hook the other end of the strap to the end of the top link. You can just crank the strap enough so that it lines up perfectly with the PTO. That way all you have to fiddle with is the latching mechanism and the shaft itself.

dun":22lgoll9 said:
jedstivers":22lgoll9 said:
Brute 23":22lgoll9 said:
Easiest way to hook up the heavy ones is hook a ratchet strap around the implement PTO shaft and hook the other end of the strap to the end of the top link. You can just crank the strap enough so that it lines up perfectly with the PTO. That way all you have to fiddle with is the latching mechanism and the shaft itself.
Yep.
Speaking of the latching mechanism though, now days it seems they make them harder to use. The old simple push pin is no more.

jedstivers":1bihdp3z said:
dun":1bihdp3z said:
jedstivers":1bihdp3z said:
Yep.
Speaking of the latching mechanism though, now days it seems they make them harder to use. The old simple push pin is no more.

And those damn plastic shields around the knuckles, that do nothing but trap gallons of grease and get in the way...

I don't mind a shield around the shaft, but around the knuckle is nothing but a nuisance.

I was kinda excited when I first saw this as I just had a fight with my mower and its drive shaft. If they were a little less expensive I'd probably give one a try.

Dud. It can be difficult on some implements, but there's not $4-500 of convenience there. Possibly for an elderly person???? Idk

Bigfoot":3l0tmhqt said:
Dud. It can be difficult on some implements, but there's not $4-500 of convenience there. Possibly for an elderly person???? Idk
For us "elderly/weak" persons, the ratchet strap is the only way I can hook up most anything, even the brus hog with it's lighter constructed connector.

Only one that have given me trouble were usually dirty or some thing from people letting the slide off in the dirt. I tie the ujoints to the equipment so they don't slide in the dirt, keep the latch, tractor, and pto shaft clean, and pour oil on them like a high lift jack. They slide on pretty smooth.

The batwing is the heaviest to maneuver but it has a bracket that holds the shaft up above the tongue. That bracket leans forward and back. After I hook the shredder to the tractor (pin and hydraulics) I grab the bracket with my right hand and the joints with my left. When you pull on the bracket with your right hand the shaft moves toward the tractor. If it's not lined up I spin the ujoints with my left hand (best if wings are down already) and pull on the bracket with my right hand. The shredder shaft will slide on a little ways with the latch not pulled back. No sue trying to oull the latch back if your not lined up. Once the shafts are lined up keep pressure with you right hand and slide the latch back with your left hand. It slides right on.

IMO people screw up by trying to pull the latch back at the same time when they are trying to stab the pto shaft to the tractor.

Never do it with 2 people. Your asking for pinched fingers and POed people.

DUD I could have had the shaft hooked up the regular way just as fast and felt a lot better about it being fastened securely

Latest posts