Dead ought to be buried where they live

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Been noticing how many people who do not live in the County , with no family in the County or any ties to the County are being buried in the city cemetery, before long it won't be room for local people. Just read an obit who lives a 100 mile away with a large family being buried here. Why they doing this ? : :hide:

I will be buried far from where I currently live...where an entire line of my family have been buried since they came her from Ireland....because I want to.... I personally don't think any person should have to justify where they want their final resting place to be. :2cents:

Not sure about your particular situation, but I have noticed it around here where I live as well. Most of our cemetery's out in our parts are located at or near churches (rural country). Way back when the churches first got started, the members marked out their plots for themselves as well as for their family members. Years go by and families move, or the parents have died and when someone else dies, they naturally want to be buried in what they consider their "family" cemetery. That is one reason, another is that local churches either don't charge "members" to be buried or the cost of a burial plot is relatively inexpensive compared to traditional cemeteries in town.

I'm planning on being in the ground within 48 hours, buried under the deer feeder in the backyard. I'm also planning on building my own casket out of the next big pine I saw up.

TN Cattle Man":188966fg said:
Not sure about your particular situation, but I have noticed it around here where I live as well. Most of our cemetery's out in our parts are located at or near churches (rural country). Way back when the churches first got started, the members marked out their plots for themselves as well as for their family members. Years go by and families move, or the parents have died and when someone else dies, they naturally want to be buried in what they consider their "family" cemetery. That is one reason, another is that local churches either don't charge "members" to be buried or the cost of a burial plot is relatively inexpensive compared to traditional cemeteries in town.

True for our county as well as lots of family cemeteries. I know I am the last taking care of our original in Texas. The woods here are full of old cemeteries that no one upkeeps any longer, it's really a sad site.
When mom and dad died I transported them both 180 miles back to original family plots.

My question is why someone would think they had the right on were someone is to be buried in community cemeteries?

TN Cattle Man":32c0dtkl said:
Years go by and families move, or the parents have died and when someone else dies, they naturally want to be buried in what they consider their "family" cemetery.

That is one reason, another is that local churches either don't charge "members" to be buried or the cost of a burial plot is relatively inexpensive compared to traditional cemeteries in town.

c1cbf243-c634-4456-ae8d-7ba563d28a3f_text_hi.gif

Dead is dead. I want nothing listed anywhere, just easiest and cheapest way for my family.

My question is are they paying for the plots that the poster mentioned. If paying then nothing can be said if not paying then that's an issue with whomever is in charge of the cemetery. We have a family cemetery and a church family cemetery you can't buy a plot you can have one if you're family. If not family you can't be buried there.

Already made and paid for my funeral arrangements...
cremated
no ceremony or service
instructions given to family.
if I still own the farm at my death I want my ashes scattered here near the dogs graves...
if I no longer own the farm I have asked my riding buddy to scatter my ashes along one of the trails we love to ride.

pdfangus":2yge9to7 said:
cremated
no ceremony or service
if I still own the farm at my death I want my ashes scattered here near the dogs graves...
if I no longer own the farm I have asked my riding buddy to scatter my ashes along one of the trails we love to ride.

What if he dies first?

TennesseeTuxedo":38156z75 said:
pdfangus":38156z75 said:
cremated
no ceremony or service

What if he dies first?
oh pdfangus will make sure that doesn't happen! :nod:

ez14.":1dn95ud5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1dn95ud5 said:
pdfangus":1dn95ud5 said:
cremated
no ceremony or service

What if he dies first?
oh pdfangus will make sure that doesn't happen! :nod:

fall back plan is either my younger sister, who does not ride or know the trails.....
or cultivate a new riding friend...
either one will probably locate the nearest dumpster...
but I will be dead so I won't care.
when we had a lot of cows I wanted to put the ashes in the cattle mineral but now with just a few I don't wanna poison em...

cowboy43":29qol60z said:
Been noticing how many people who do not live in the County , with no family in the County or any ties to the County are being buried in the city cemetery, before long it won't be room for local people. Just read an obit who lives a 100 mile away with a large family being buried here. Why they doing this ? : :hide:

I would think that with all the issues facing our country right now, this would be a lower priority than it's being made out to be.

For me, I'm going to medical school. I'm hoping I can help society one last time. Then my wife can do whatever she wants with the lower leg, toe and half an ear they give back to her.

In our city's cemetery, it is an older one, from how I understand it plots have probably already been sold and reserved on a first come first serve basis years ago for the most part. Anew section was opened up a few years ago. My maternal grandmother's family bought quite a few burial plots many years ago. That is a subject that I don't like to think about and when that point in time comes I figure it ain't gonna matter anyways.

My brother and I, are care takers of sorts for the church cemetery. It's filling up quick. The majority, have never stepped in the church. I guess they have some connection through family already buried there. We have what we call "cemetery dues". It's $25 a year. The money goes in an annuity that will hopefully maintain the cemetery. Probably only about 5% of the bodies buried there get their dues paid.
It gets hard at sometimes, to keep up with complaints of sunken graves, leaning tombstones, many lament the use of glyphosate, but you'd never get done weedeating that place without it. I often wonder why, they don't bury dead in town, as opposed to small cemetery at a little country church. We have two big work days a year there. Yet to see anybody show up that wasn't a member.

Bigfoot":40jnpt2b said:
My brother and I, are care takers of sorts for the church cemetery. It's filling up quick. The majority, have never stepped in the church. I guess they have some connection through family already buried there. We have what we call "cemetery dues". It's $25 a year. The money goes in an annuity that will hopefully maintain the cemetery. Probably only about 5% of the bodies buried there get their dues paid.
It gets hard at sometimes, to keep up with complaints of sunken graves, leaning tombstones, many lament the use of glyphosate, but you'd never get done weedeating that place without it. I often wonder why, they don't bury dead in town, as opposed to small cemetery at a little country church. We have two big work days a year there. Yet to see anybody show up that wasn't a member.

Why would a non member show up to work on the grounds of someone else's church?

TennesseeTuxedo":95br5k6x said:
Bigfoot":95br5k6x said:

Why would a non member show up to work on the grounds of someone else's church?
Maybe out of respect for their dead loved ones who are buried there?? Bigfoot said in his statement that the majority buried there have never stepped foot in the church (I am assuming that they are/were not members but someone back in the day probably was at one time).

Latest posts