Dead Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I had to meet with a GW and a Special Investigator this past week. I found one hog on Friday in a pasture with about 30 dead buzzards around it. Another hog that I had shot and drug off also had atlead 15-20 buzzards around it.

The reason this case is strange is the hog that was in the pasture made it a good distance from the spot of being poisoned before it expired. Even worse... the hog I shot... that had 15+ buzzards around was caught in a trap and I shot because it was tearing it up. It was in the trap 2 days before I shot it, appeared healthy, but obviously had enough toxins in it to kill buzzards still. This is not normal of the usual methods. The hogs or what ever usually never make it more than a couple yards.

I caught 16 hogs that week in my trap with that one. All were about to be given to people to butcher Friday. Luckily this all went on before they took them.

I hate hogs just as much as the next person, but poisoning is not the way to go. Look how many people it could have effected. I am not sure what it would have done after being cleaned and cooked, but I don't want to take the chance and find out. :( Samples were taken and the hogs were destroyed.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. People are so ignorant some times.. I'm sure someone never considered the possibility that someone might eat one. Good thing you called someone in to investigate.

Could they have just gotten into something by themselves? Maybe someone threw something in the trash?
Well,if someone did do it,hope they catch them

peg4x4":2c2vjp8u said:
Could they have just gotten into something by themselves? Maybe someone threw something in the trash?

Hogs are very smart creatures. You would actually be surprised what they can eat and not even get sick, much less die.

As to someone poisoning them, now that's just plain wrong. Karma will pay them a visit one day...

are they testing the hogs for poisens.its just plain wrong to kill hogs like that in my book.the sad thing is theyll never know who did it.

They took samples from every thing but the GW told me the labs are so backed up it is a minimum of 6-8 mo before they will know any thing back.

There have been two other reports where the GW was called out for some thing simular in the area. They are starting to link them together. ;-)

grannysoo":39fpudy1 said:
peg4x4":39fpudy1 said:

Hogs are very smart creatures. You would actually be surprised what they can eat and not even get sick, much less die.As to someone poisoning them, now that's just plain wrong. Karma will pay them a visit one day...

True...and I've never seen a buzzard eat anything that had been poisoned either. (Doesn't mean they won't tho). I've heard of some feed additives that "might" kill hogs but know of noone that can confirm it.

TheBullLady":2g5fcis4 said:
Somehow that doesn't surprise me. People are so ignorant some times.. I'm sure someone never considered the possibility that someone might eat one. Good thing you called someone in to investigate.

Bottom line is they dont care.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2jmkp3ow said:
TheBullLady":2jmkp3ow said:

Bottom line is they dont care.

The bottom line might change if someone eats that tainted meat and becomes sick and dies. Karma is always around the corner waiting to visit those deserving.

Would it be considered murder if someone died from eating a poisoned animal?

The use of poision has been used on coyota, wolfs, and other things as well, some by the U.S. gov( at least in the past). I understand the possibility of humans eatin the pigs and gettin sick, maybe we should not eat wild pig..Prehaps wild pig , since it is speading like wild fire should be put on a do not eat list and all of them poisioned......

alftn":2cm4e5mb said:
The use of poision has been used on coyota, wolfs, and other things as well, some by the U.S. gov( at least in the past). I understand the possibility of humans eatin the pigs and gettin sick, maybe we should not eat wild pig..Prehaps wild pig , since it is speading like wild fire should be put on a do not eat list and all of them poisioned......

Sounds good to me. I always thought they tasted to gamey anyways.

The problem with using poison is that it is impossible to contain it to the target species. For example, last winter a chicken poisoned with Temik was dropped off near my yard by some sort of animal. I know it was dropped off by an animal because I know where the poisoned chicken came from- about a half mile from where my dogs found it. Well, they got violently ill almost instantly and were puking and having diahreah spasms and convulsions and bouncing off trees and so forth. I called the vet and asked if I brought them in was there any hope ? He said maybe. I took them in and he saved them. Cost $300. About two weeks later I had a puppy in the yard that I had recently paid $150 for and had spent another $100 for vaccinations and wormers and things on who found some of the puke from the two sick dogs and ate it and died. Using poison is extremely stupid and dangerous.

ga. prime":1oz1rvl1 said:
The problem with using poison is that it is impossible to contain it to the target species. For example, last winter a chicken poisoned with Temik was dropped off near my yard by some sort of animal. I know it was dropped off by an animal because I know where the poisoned chicken came from- about a half mile from where my dogs found it. Well, they got violently ill almost instantly and were puking and having diahreah spasms and convulsions and bouncing off trees and so forth. I called the vet and asked if I brought them in was there any hope ? He said maybe. I took them in and he saved them. Cost $300. About two weeks later I had a puppy in the yard that I had recently paid $150 for and had spent another $100 for vaccinations and wormers and things on who found some of the puke from the two sick dogs and ate it and died. Using poison is extremely stupid and dangerous.

Temik takes cows out to. It only takes one careless individual.

This IS bad, because you don't know who is doing it, where they are doing it, and what they are using. Hog, deer, turkey, dove, and wild game COULD be contaminated.........ditto with domestic animals. How do we know this person isn't putting this stuff out inside our pastures???

Latest posts