Dead Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MOFarmer2013

Reaction score
I know this is an absolute shot in the dark, but better than nothing. I had a cow go down this weekend and we ultimatley had to destroy her. Her body condition has always been thin, but we did not know she was on death's bed. I have been out there everyday this week and tried giving her a little more grain. Saturday I went out there and she looked terrible. Just a bag of bones. She looked like it was her back in that was bothering her. When she stood, she was dropping her hips like she had to poop. Before we could put her up and get a vet, she fell and and couldn't get up. We decided to destroy her and her eyes looked like they were sunken in. Any ideas what this could be?

Have your hay analyzed. The protein may be so low that a hard keeper just didn't get anything out of it.

Unless what she ate wasn't metal. I lost one that had a crystallized ball of hay string in her . I guess the guy I got her from left the string on his hay when he fed..

I read up on some symptoms of hardware and I think that might be it. Also, when we got this farm there has been a lot of baling twine that has been here for who knows how long. Thanks guys!

MOFarmer2013":fl8hehiy said:
I read up on some symptoms of hardware and I think that might be it. Also, when we got this farm there has been a lot of baling twine that has been here for who knows how long. Thanks guys!

Twine will not cause ''hardware''. Eating twine would cause a slight chance for impaction, but would not puncture or perforate.

You should. Have had a necropsy done. You have not learned what killed her or how to prevent it next time it happens. Mmy guess is ketosis.

mwj":3ve9txr5 said:
MOFarmer2013":3ve9txr5 said:

Twine will not cause ''hardware''. Eating twine would cause a slight chance for impaction, but would not puncture or perforate.
The cow I lost had bale string in 3 colors the ball of string was as big as a basket ball and crystallized . It looked like a tumor .