DEAD COW

Help Support CattleToday:

When in my teens, I worked several Summers for a road contractor. There was a lady that had a horse die and had stopped by the shop and asked if we could bury it for her. We were not working very far from her place, so the boss told one of the operators to take the backhoe over there and bury the horse. Well when he dug the hole, he just dug a trench and used the bucket to rake the horse over in the hole. The hole wasn't wide enough, so when the horse went in, it turned bottom side up with his legs sticking strait up out of the hole. So he just took the bucket and hammered them down. That lady went berserk, and the contractor wound up having to pay her to calm her down. I can only imagine what it would have cost if he had used dynamite. :lol:

My husband LOVES to tell the story about burying one of our horses... she was "special"... a gift to my daughter. This was an old mare that was a true babysitter so when she passed, I naturally was upset. So, he dug the hole and I was worried about getting her INTO the hole so he told me to go get the blanket we always used on her and when I did he PLOWED HER OVER with the bucket as fast as he could. By the time I came back he had her in the hole, covered, and was driving the tractor over her to compact the soil! Of course when HE tells it he has to make "blubbering sounds" and make fun. Oh well.

When our bull died last month..I found it disturbing to learn that the only rendering company operating only took them if they were "under 30 months". The other rendering company was undergoing some type of renovation. Since we took the bull for nescropy the disposal was taken care of. Seems like they are always changing what the "allowed" way is to dispose of an animal...I use to hear no bury, burn..now it is no burning, no leaving it out for buzzards or what ever, now suppose to bury. What is a person to do in winter with frozen ground or mud?

Latest posts