dead calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I went to the farm last Tuesday night and when I checked on my cows I noticed that one of my black baldies had calved. She had a little bull calf and it was nursing and appeared to be several hours old. I caught him up and dipped his cord and turned him out. Mom had followed us to the pen and all appeared well. The next morning I noticed a large group of buzzards feasting on something. Uh oh I drove over and there was a baby calf or rather part of a baby calf. Four legs, a tail , and hide twisted round and round. No head and no ribs. My question is could this cow have aborted another calf? There is no other cow ready to calve.

Papa good chance the buzzards killed the calf as well. These black headed SOBs will gang up, wear a mama cow down and then peck the eyes out of the calf and then it's all down hill from there. Sorry about the calf.

papavillars":126pggwv said:
I went to the farm last Tuesday night and when I checked on my cows I noticed that one of my black baldies had calved. She had a little bull calf and it was nursing and appeared to be several hours old. I caught him up and dipped his cord and turned him out. Mom had followed us to the pen and all appeared well. The next morning I noticed a large group of buzzards feasting on something. Uh oh I drove over and there was a baby calf or rather part of a baby calf. Four legs, a tail , and hide twisted round and round. No head and no ribs. My question is could this cow have aborted another calf? There is no other cow ready to calve.
you found a carcass not the first calf correct
if so she could of had twins and you only found 1 of them or 1 is all that lived

angus, I found one live calf that night and the next morning I found another dead calf but it was not a complete calf. No sign of a head or anything between the front hooves and rear hooves except some twisted hide.

papavillars":106cusg2 said:
angus, I found one live calf that night and the next morning I found another dead calf but it was not a complete calf. No sign of a head or anything between the front hooves and rear hooves except some twisted hide.

Did it look like the head and other parts just weren't there and never had been or like a coyote or something got at it?

It looked to me like the parts were never formed. Cow and other calf are doing well. I just had never seen a scene like this. I have seen plenty of animals killed by all sorts of predators but usually there is some remains of the body . At least weather is changing and time to close top pastures so that the rye grass makes a good stand.

From the description it probably never formed correctly, I'd definitely keep a close eye on the other calf to make sure there are no hidden problems with it as well.

Suzie, unable to tell if that was the case. Not enough left to tell. Sure hope she is fertile she has given me some really nice calves.

I think he already said the live calf was a bull so it really wont matter what sex the dead calf was in the event that it was a twin.

Circle H Ranch

Sorry Papavillas, I am a bit tired from baling. I didn't pick up that the calf alive was a bull. I meant that if that bull was a heifer then she might not be fertile. I did not mean the mother who should be fine.

Latest posts