dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I lost a calf yesterday. Went to put out hay and realized a three month old calf was missing. I checked all the different pastures to make sure she did not slip thru a broken fence. I was unloading a pile of barn tin for a new pole barn when I hear her mom bellowing in the woods. Checked the area and there she lay. The coyotes had already visited,so I was unable to tell what might have happened. This calf was in great condition. Last week I had our ag agent out to help me determine how to prepare a pasture for a new hay field. He noticed my stock and commented in how good of shape they were. Left the farm for two days and sure enough problems. i recently ( two weeks ago) turned all my cows into a field that has rye in it but it is hardly growing. The cows have plenty of free choice hay and two tanks that are spring fed. They do not show signs of bloat, but I took them off the rye and back on grass with hay. People ask what I am doing now that I have retired. I tell them " Linda and I are raising grandkids and cows and cannot make money on either of them" Not really raising my grandkids they just love to come to the farm. So I bring them weekly.

Yeah, that's weird . . . and too bad. Never fun to lose one. Any chance the coyotes are what got it to begin with? Or domestic dogs - they're actually worse.

I agree with a couple here little on the young side for black leg, could be dogs. Dogs kill a lot of livestock that coyotes get blamed for, dogs kill for the fun of it and coyotes find a free meal. Blackleg usually hits around the six month range. I said most cases start at six months it can stike earlier.

I really do not know caused the calf to die. I do not see the obvious signs of blackleg. These calves have been vacinated, but I did it myself so who knows. I have tried to follow the advise on this forum on vacinations and other preventative medicine. Also being a medic I realize sometimes things die for seemly no reason.

Latest posts